The h2g2 Post 23.01.17

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 23rd January 2017

Soaring to New Heights

A future-type dude with a jetpack from an old scifi magazine. That's us at the h2g2 Post. We soar. We swoop. We are breathtaking in our scope. We'll take your imaginations where no ezine has ever gone before. We do this boldly, unapologetically, and without licence from the secret world government. (We haven't asked them.) So strap on your tinfoil hats and enjoy this week's issue.

As I write this, the world is still turning on its axis. Whether that will be the case by the time we actually publish, we know not. But we have faith in our pixel production. However, we wish to state for the record that we at the h2g2 Post do not publish Fake News. No matter what our detractors may say. We clearly label all our photoshopped pictures. For that reason, we state in advance, and completely openly, that FWR has done it once again. We are proud to bring you yet another master class in messing around with teh kitteh pix. Ooh and aah, pls, kthxbai.

Which reminds me to remind you that the Post is on Instagram. If you are, too, drop by and improve our visibility on your social media. This will make Superfrenchie happy. When I reminded her to post our pictures last week, she made mock of me. The cover photo had the wrong dimensions, so I gave her a better version. Fine, she said, Who do I credit? Do you have a title?
Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor, I replied suavely.
Well, that's a little less pompous than King of the Known World and Beyond (just a little), was the urbane reply. And a title for the picture, maybe ?

Okay, that's me told.

Speaking of pictures, we have lots of them this week. And they're not fakes. Icy's whale is not fake. There really is a topiary whale in the UK. (You people and shrubbery.) Caption it. That street Icy found isn't fake, either. Nor is Milla's snap of a Gran Canaria cave with all mod cons. Our photojournalists are so cutting edge, we're calling their efforts h2g2 Photos Unshopped. We've got the goods here. You won't see this on Youtube (until they steal it, we suppose).

Willem's bird is for real, too. You haven't seen one in your backyard? Well, go and read about it. You'll want one, too, I did. Awix is describing a real musical, too. He really went to the cinema and watched it. Then he wrote about it and sent it to the Post ahead of the deadline. Strange as it may seem, this is 100% true.

I really watched a TV movie, too. It was from the BBC. But I think it was Fake History. I'll tell you why if you read the Ninja Film Review. If you don't, you'll never find out.

We have the usual snark for you, and a science fiction tale we dug out of the archives. Don't say we never gave you anything. You'll enjoy it. But beware: the Literary Corner is also a challenge. See how many space travel errors you can spot. The h2g2 Post: where we invite you to be a Know-All.

We also invite your writing, art, and photography. Without or without use of photoshop. So send more Stuff to keep me and Superfrenchie busy! And have a great week out there!


Dmitri Gheorgheni, King of the Known World and Beyond (aka Post Editor)

RARE CREATURES
  • Picathartes by Willem.
  • Topiary of a whale.

SOME INTERESTING STUFF


h2g2 PHOTOS UNSHOPPED

  • Squeeze Gut Alley.
  • Guayadeque cave home.

EVEN MORE INTERESTING STUFF
WHAT TO WRITE NEXT
  • Create January Challenge 2017.
  • Florence Kitteh Lawrence.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87880279

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more