The Post Quiz: Real or Fake? Answers

0 Conversations

You think you know the news? Try this quiz.

Real or Fake? The Surprising Answers

A very popular cartoon has the caption, 'My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.' The cartoonist says it dates from the Clinton administration, so the problem isn't new. But we know how the cartoon characters feel.

Particularly when you reflect that all of these headlines appeared in the last month. We can prove it.

Ouch.

  1. Trump Adviser Repeats Baseless Claims of Voter Fraud. This one's from National Public Radio, but a lot of other news outlets had similar headlines. It's not just the New York Times that has taken to labelling official public utterances as 'false', 'baseless', or 'inaccurate' in their headlines. Forewarned is forearmed, we suppose.
  2. Officials Order Evacuation for Residents Below California Dam. Also NPR. 'Run for your life, the dam's breaking!' isn't a blast from the past.
  3. North Korea Conducts Ballistic Missile Test. We wish they wouldn't.
  4. Yale to Rename Calhoun College for Computer Scientist Grace Hopper. This from New York Magazine, but it's causing general rejoicing. Why? Oh, John C. Calhoun was not only a former vice president of the U.S. He was a notorious racist and premature secessionist. Even Andrew Jackson couldn't stand him. Oh, and here's his photo. Naming a college after Grace Hopper is much more encouraging to students. Go, Yale!
  5. Pig No Longer Harasses Residents of an Oregon Town. Piggy Smalls, or Notorious P.I.G., left a trail of damage in the wake of his trotters. He is now safely in custody by Animal Rescue.
  6. Mein Kampf a Best Seller in Germany. It's an annotated edition. Wait a year, and ask everybody how far they got in that turgid prose. We're betting page 35 or so.
  7. $60 Million Worth of Cocaine Washes Up on Beach. Near Great Yarmouth. The police asked people to watch out for more. Not take it. Just find it.
  8. China Officials Punished for Dozing in Motivation Meeting. The offending officials had to write 'self-criticisms' and apologise publicly. Could we borrow this technique for the US government? Please? I want the Education secretary to write 500 times on a chalkboard, 'I will not misspell things on tweets. It makes the Department of Education look dumb.'
  9. Very Old, Charming – er – Thing Goes on Display in Athens. It's 7000 years old, you can't buy one in the Plaka, and nobody knows what it is. Oh, oh: I know what you call something in Greek when you don't know what it is. You call it a τετοια. Really. This is experience talking. It's Greek for 'thingamajig'.
  10. Hottest Cut of All – Gaza Barber Wields Blowtorch. For 20 shekels, you can trust your scalp to a guy with a blowtorch. Last time I saw a man with a blowtorch in the Mediterranean area, he was taking pinfeathers off a chicken. This barber wants to prove that Palestinian barbers are as 'professional as those out there around the world.'

Now that you have read all that, you are smarter than before. But are you saner?

An advert for Velocipede Hair Oil, 1869.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

06.03.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87885724

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more