Only the Best China

1 Conversation

Older relatives definitely belong to our favourite childhood memories.

Only the Best China

A three-tiered serving dish

My grandmother was of German descent, and about once a month she would set out a huge evening meal for the family. She would serve it on her good 'Blue Willow China', she had a complete table service including a 3-tiered service tray with a center metal pole that screwed through a hole in each plate. It was usually disassembled for storage and she did not use it at every meal.

I had an uncle who was a big man and worked in one of the steel mills. One of his greatest pleasures was to fill his plate with all the different food dishes and cover them all in ketchup before starting to eat.

One evening after he filled his plate and without applying the tomato sauce he started to eat it all plain. When somebody asked him why he had not put on his ketchup, he sadly replied 'I can't' He then showed us his plate with the hole in the middle. 'I would just run out and spoil the table cloth'.

My grandmother then realized that she had accidentally given him the bottom layer of the serving tray. She gave him a new plate without the hole so he could fix his meal properly. I am not sure if the pattern matched, but he was happy.

This is the kind of stuff you just can't make up.

Create Archive

Florida Sailor

06.11.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87898414

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more