Post Quiz: Animal News

1 Conversation

Post Quiz: Animal News

See if you can answer these questions about animals in the science news.

  1. A Microraptor was a winged dinosaur about the size of a crow that lived 120 million years ago. What find made it the subject of intense scientist excitement lately?
  2. Ancient dogs could crush bones with their teeth. How do scientists know that?
  3. Chimpanzees' forest beds are cleaner than beds in humans' houses. Why?
  4. What do some skinks (a small lizard) have in common with Mr Spock?
  5. According to scientists (ahem), at what age do puppies reach peak cuteness?
  6. How did giant dinosaurs sit on their eggs without crushing them?
  7. Besides humans, what usually kills male shrews of the Antechinus genus in Australia?
  8. What animal-related charity did actor Russell Crowe endow in ironic honour of comedian John Oliver?
  9. A newly-discovered shrew has been found on an isolated mountaintop in the Philippines – and only there. What mystery is driving scientists nuts?
  10. More scientists getting excited: this time it was physicists. Researchers at the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) Hanford Observatory in the US state of Washington found weird bursts of gravitational waves on their meters. Was it aliens, or something closer to home?

A little harder than anagrams of top-ten pop tunes? We bet Willem got them all. If you want to know, click the picture for answers.

The angler fish
Click for answers.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.06.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87911995

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more