Post Quiz: Forgeries and the Lying Liars Who Made Them

0 Conversations

What do you know about famous forgeries? Explore more Fake News in this quiz.

Post Quiz: Forgeries and the Lying Liars Who Made Them

Forgeries abound in all fields. Test your knowledge of faux everything.

  1. The 'Donation of Constantine' was an early medieval forgery in which the Emperor Constantine was said to….
    • Give authority over the Church to Rome.
    • Give Europe to Charlemagne.
    • Give some important relics to his mother Helen.
    • Give any lands discovered west of the Atlantic Ocean to France.
  2. An 18th-century German archaeologist, Johann Beringer, was fond of fossils. He kept finding unusual ones – bizarre stone impressions of mating frogs, for instance, or even ones with writing on them. What turned out to be the solution to the mystery of the Beringer fossils?
    • Pareidolia on a grand scale.
    • Forgeries by Beringer to support the new fossil theory.
    • Misdating of more recent sculptures.
    • Student pranks.
  3. In his 1834 book, The American Nations, Constantine Rafinesque claimed what?
    • That he had spoken to the angel Moroni, who told him negative stories about Joseph Smith.
    • That George Washington was the reincarnation of Pharaoh Amenhotep, as foretold in prophecies in the Great Pyramid.
    • That he had proof of lost Atlantis somewhere off the coast of Georgia.
    • That he had translated an epic poem documenting the crossing of the Bering Strait by the Lenape Indians.
  4. The Piltdown Man hoax was believed for 41 years. The fake fossil was made up of…
    • A fish and a monkey.
    • A duck's bill and an ape skull.
    • An orangutan's jaw and a human skull.
    • Various pieces of papier mâché.
  5. In 1866, Josiah Whitney claimed to have found what in Calaveras County, California?
    • A golden idol near Sutter's Mill.
    • Evidence of ancient frog worship.
    • The oldest human skull.
    • A new kind of dinosaur.
  6. In 1869, men working for American entrepreneur George Hull dug up a 'petrified giant' (really a stone statue) in Cardiff, New York. It wasn't hard for them to find: Hull had buried it there a year before. Soon, everybody wanted to see this 'genuine fossil.' What happened when famous showman PT Barnum found out about it?
    • He hired detectives to prove it was a fake.
    • He bought it for $50,000.
    • He claimed it was the 'devil's work', and got preachers to attack it from pulpits.
    • He created his own fake Cardiff Giant, and claimed it was the original.
  7. In the 1890s, the Louvre was very embarrassed when its prized Tiara of Saitaphernes was shown to be a modern forgery. It was a really pretty hat full of bas reliefs and made of a solid pound of gold. What gave it away?
    • The translation of the ancient Greek that said, 'Retsina half price tonight.'
    • The modern soldering, plus the fact that the dents were all in non-interesting places.
    • The discovery of a letter by goldsmith Israel Rouchomovski admitting the deed.
    • A devastating critical article by a Tel Aviv scholar.
  8. In addition to the Tiara of Saitaphernes, the Louvre also owns…
    • Fake moon rocks.
    • Eight Mona Lisas.
    • The arms of the Winged Victory of Samothraki.
    • Seven Neanderthal skulls.
  9. In 1925, H Rider Haggard (of all people) gave British explorer Percy Fawcett a mysterious idol said to be from lost Atlantis. Neither Haggard nor Fawcett realised that it was a fake. What did this 'find' lead Fawcett to do?
    • Found a museum of Atlanean artefacts.
    • Start a magazine called Popular Archaeology.
    • Head to Brazil to find lost Atlantis, and never return.
    • Make the movie She.
  10. You've heard of Konrad Kujau, who forged Hitler's diaries. What unusual case arose after his death?
    • He was convicted post mortem of forging Hitler paintings.
    • It turns out that he owned the real Hitler diaries.
    • His estate turned out to contain genuine Rembrandts.
    • His 'niece' was convicted of signing his name to art fakes, thus creating 'forged forgeries'.

Got your head swimming? Click the picture for answers.

A mermaid riding a sea monster
Click for answers.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

30.07.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87914983

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more