h2g2 Biological Guesser: Fungus Among Us?

1 Conversation

h2g2 Biological Guesser: Fungus Among Us?

Is it Sclerotinia homoeocarpa, or just an eensy-weensie spider?

The other morning, this appeared on our dew-laden lawn. Elektra said it was 'grass spiders'. I checked: 'grass spiders' are, indeed, a thing, though hitherto unknown to me. However, the lawn care people say it's more likely to be Sclerotinia homoeocarpa, or dollar spot fungus, due to the weather stressing out the grass.

'The grass is stressed?' I mocked. 'Oh, boo, hoo.' The reason for my sarcasm is familiarity with the biologists' observation that grass is quite possibly the most successful organism on Earth. As one scientist put it, what other organism has managed to inveigle humans into spending so much time and money on its welfare? Reflecting on the 20 bucks I fork out for lawn care every other week in the summer, I thought the grass was being a snowflake about a few cool nights.

Anyway, the sighting was unusual, and went away by lunchtime. Anybody out there have any thoughts on these things? Have you ever seen one where you are?

Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

13.08.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87915694

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more