Writing Right with Dmitri: Extra – Descriptive Writing Exercise

1 Conversation

Writing Right with Dmitri: Extra – Descriptive Writing Exercise

Editor at work.
France for Frenchie

See this photo? I want you to describe it. Wait….

Every day, the Editors post photos and links on social media. Over on Twitter, an activist for the disabled has appealed to all of us who do this to remember that not everyone is visually equipped to appreciate photos, GIFs, and videos. There's a special feature that allows to us to include descriptions. Doing this includes our non-sighted friends in the insights and jokes we're sharing with our images. Obviously, the better the description, the more effective the sharing.

It struck me that this description business, which I do every day, is really good practice for writers. So now: how would you describe this photo so that a person who hadn't seen it could appreciate its message? What are the salient features? Try to be concise, while including the important details.

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.11.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87922344

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more