Post Quiz: About Time

1 Conversation

Post Quiz: About Time

Before you can get stuck in a temporal-causality loop, you have to understand time travel. Brush up on your temporal mechanics with this multiple-choice test.

  1. What statement do Albert Einstein and Ford Prefect have in common?
    • 'Life is like a grapefruit.'
    • 'Mostly harmless.'
    • 'Time is an illusion.'
    • 'I have detected disturbances in the wash.'
  2. What is Einstein's twin theory?
    • Twins can never be identical because they are born at different times.
    • Twins experience time differently.
    • If one twin goes to space and the other stays home, they will age at different rates.
    • A twin travelling near the speed of light will age more slowly than the one on Earth.
  3. What scientific instrument that you probably have in your car has validated both general and special relativity?
    • Tachometer
    • Speedometer
    • GPS
    • Anti-lock brakes
  4. Why did Einstein say time travel, while possible, would be very difficult to survive?
    • You would be sure to kill your grandfather.
    • You would have infinite mass and a length of zero, which is kind of hard on the system.
    • You would be deaf and blind from 'time dilation'.
    • You would have zero mass and be spaghettified.
  5. What is the main barrier to using wormholes for time travel?
    • Their event horizons are tricky to navigate.
    • They are always temporary.
    • Aliens control them all.
    • We haven't found any yet.
  6. What is the main obstacle to building a Tipler Cylinder for time travel, other than the enormous amount of mass needed?
    • You'd need a place to put it that was near a neutron star.
    • A Tipler Cylinder is infinitely long.
    • If a Tipler Cylinder were possible, we'd already have one.
    • You'd need elements that haven't been discovered yet.
  7. In the film Primer, why is time travel so slow?
    • For every minute you go back in time, you have to stay in the time machine one minute.
    • It is necessary to move in space to move in time, which requires real travel.
    • The time traveller has to wait for every part of his body to catch up.
    • It isn't slow. It only seems that way to the time traveller.
  8. In Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, how is space/time folded?
    • Using magical origami.
    • Using sonic waves.
    • By creating a cosmic torus.
    • By creating a tesseract.
  9. How does the Doctor travel through time in his/her TARDIS?
    • By using string theory.
    • By travelling through every point in the universe simultaneously.
    • By moving through a temporal vortex.
    • By exploiting a black hole, as Stephen Hawking suggested.
  10. What is a 'time slip'?
    • A theoretical time machine that can be created mentally, as demonstrated by Jack Finney.
    • A DeLorean at 84 mph.
    • A situation in which people claim to have experienced the past without a time machine.
    • A consequence of time dilation.

Don't have time to look up all these answers? Click the picture below.

Michael J Fox as Marty McFly in a scene from the 1985 movie 'Back to the Future'
Click for answers.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.02.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87929220

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more