'Mission: Impossible' - the Film Series

2 Conversations

The Mission: Impossible film series (1996+) is a series of films that share the same name and theme tune as an earlier popular American spy-fi television series. The original television series ran 1966-1973 and 1988-90 and remains America's longest-running television spy drama. Unlike other spy series of the time it did not revolve around guns, glamour or car chases. Instead each week a group of spies would collaborate and, by working together and relying on each member's specialist skill and contribution, they would be able to achieve their goal and save the day. Series creator Bruce Geller wrote when conceiving the series that the IMF team

operate as one man while… the [villains'] relationship is one of mutual suspicion and distrust. It is this human factor that is they key to the impossible being accomplished.

The recent film series starring Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt has a completely different focus. Ethan Hunt is a master-spy in the same vein as James Bond and instead of collaborating with a number of individuals with different specialist skills, he tends to accomplish his goals solo. In complete contrast to the original series ethos, in every film he is uncertain of who he can trust.

As the original television series' unique identity revolved around the IMF (Impossible Mission Force) team approach to the mission at hand has been removed and replaced with one master spy, what differentiates the Mission: Impossible films' plots from that of other spy series? In a word – nothing. Outside the plot, the main character is played by Tom Cruise, who plays a spy whose first name does not begin with J - unlike James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Ryan, John Wick, Jack Reacher or Johnny English. Unlike James Bond, Hunt is more likely to drive a motorbike than a classic car. Cruise famously does his own stunts including the really dangerous ones, something virtually unheard of among A-list celebrities. This is because the films are co-produced by Tom Cruise's own company, Cruise/Wagner Productions, which gives him virtually complete artistic freedom, including the ability to hire and fire directors.

Frequent themes include dangling down on wires from things, such as down air shafts from the roof, helicopters or walls. Another recurring occurrence involves both the agents and villains wearing rubber masks to disguise themselves and mislead their opponents. Similarly, good secretaries are very hard to find; Hunt's boss, usually the Secretary of State, changes in every film and many are murdered. It is obviously not a job that comes with pension benefits.

The Mission: Impossible films have also been getting steadily longer, reflecting a wider cinema trend since the 1990s. Another 21st Century trend that these films reflects is that how they have stopped numbering the sequels and from the fourth film onwards they have subtitles1.

The tables below lists the main characters in each film. Characters in Bold are recurring characters, actors in bold show that these recurring characters are played by their original actor. Also mentioned is whether the films pass the Bechdel Test. This can be summarised as whether the film involves two or more female characters who have a conversation together that does not include or mention any male characters.

1. Mission: Impossible (1996)

DirectorBrian De Palma
Mission

Jim Phelps and the Impossible Missions Force are in Prague to recover a stolen copy of the NOC (non-official cover) list which contains details of every CIA agent around the world, only for the team to be murdered. Only Ethan Hunt and Claire Phelps survive, and IMF director Eugene Kittridge reveals that the mission was fake and intended to capture a suspected traitor in IMF who was trying to sell the NOC list and, as Hunt has survived, he is believed to be the traitor.

Only by stealing the real NOC list and contacting the potential buyer can Hunt learn who the traitor really is and clear his own name. In order to do this he gathers a new taskforce. Who can he trust? Will his willingness to believe people self-destruct by the end of the film?

Length105 minutes
SettingPrague, CIA Headquarters in Langley, Channel Tunnel Eurostar
Characters
  • Ethan Hunt, IMF agent (Tom Cruise)
  • Jim Phelps, senior member of IMF (Jon Voight)
  • Claire Phelps, Jim's wife (Emmanuelle Béart)
  • Luther Sticker, computer expert/hacker (Ving Rhames)
  • 'Max', arms dealer (Vanessa Redgrave CBE)
  • Eugene Kittridge, IMF Director (Henry Czerny)
  • Franz Krieger, pilot and assassin (Jean Reno)
  • Sarah Davies, IMF agent and Hunt's love interest (Dame Kristin Scott Thomas CBE)
BechdelFail

The original intention had been to have as many of the original stars of the television series cameo to be killed off at the start of the film, however unsurprisingly they chose not to appear. Many fans of the original show were disappointed that the only character from the television series, Jim Phelps, now played by Jon Voight, and not Peter Graves, was portrayed as a possible traitor. Still, the scene in which Ethan Hunt dangles down from the ceiling, unable to touch the floor without setting off an alarm, quickly entered the cultural consciousness and has been copied and parodied numerous times since. Another key sequence featured a helicopter flying through the Channel Tunnel, which had only been open two years at the time the film was released. This might explain why the Channel Tunnel doesn't actually look anything like how it does in real life2.

Mission: Impossible was the third most successful film of the year, behind only Independence Day and Twister.

2. Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)

DirectorJohn Woo
MissionAmbrose, a rogue and former Impossible Mission Force agent, acquires a deadly genetically engineered virus named Chimera. The only means Hunt has to locate him is through the rogue agent's ex-girlfriend, a thief. Despite falling for her, he must ask her to rekindle her relationship with Ambrose in order to locate him.
Length118 minutes
SettingSaville, Sydney
Characters
  • Ethan Hunt, IMF agent (Tom Cruise)
  • Nyah Nordoff-Hall, thief and Ambrose' ex (Thandie Newton OBE)
  • Commander Swanbeck, Head of IMF (Sir Anthony Hopkins)
  • Luther Sticker, computer expert/hacker (Ving Rhames)
  • Sean Ambrose, rogue agent (Dougray Scott)
  • John C McCloy, Head of research company Biocyte (Brendan Gleeson)
  • Hugh Stamp, Ambrose' partner (Richard Roxburgh)
  • Billy Baird, IMF pilot (John Polson)
  • Dr Nekhorvich, creator of the Chimera virus (Radé Sherbedgia)
BechdelFail

Also marketed as m:i-2, this film dramatically increased the amount of action from the previous film. It was also heavily edited to keep to a two-hour runtime. It had been intended to make the sequel sooner after the success of the first film but Cruise was committed to filming Eyes Wide Shut (1999) with Stanley Kubrick, a particularly meticulous director. Sir Anthony Hopkins replaces Henry Czerny as Hunt's boss, giving the series a touch of class that is strongly reminiscent of the Bond films, although the car chase between Hunt and Nyah looks like a carbon copy of one in GoldenEye. It also has plot similarities with two Hitchcock classics, Notorious (1946) and North by Northwest (1959). Curiously, with the fate of the whole world in the hands of a rogue agent with control over a deadly virus, Hunt is informed he is only allowed to have a team of three and can pick two of them.

The sequence in which Hunt climbs a sheer rock face was filmed at Dead Horse Point, with Cruise filming most of the sequences despite lying to the insurance company, saying it was all going to be done by the stunt team. Cruise's insistence on doing the stunts himself caused clashes and tensions with director John Woo, who was not asked to return to direct Mission Impossible III.

Mission: Impossible II was the most successful film of 2000.

3. Mission: Impossible III (2006)

DirectorJJ Abrams
MissionHunt has retired from IMF missions and trains new recruits, happily settling down to married wife with new bride, nurse Julia. That is until an evil, sadistic arms dealer named Davian brutally captures, tortures, toys with and murders Lindsey, one of Hunt's recruits he was particularly fond of. Having kidnapped Julia he now threatens to kill her unless Hunt hunts down and captures a device known only by its codename, the Rabbit's Foot. Can Hunt rescue his wife or will he give a murderer a doomsday device? How is Davian able to elude capture – is there yet another traitor in the IMF?
Length120 minutes
SettingBerlin, Vatican City, Chesapeake Bay Bridge, Shanghai
Characters
  • Ethan Hunt, IMF agent (Tom Cruise)
  • Owen Davian, arms dealer (Philip Seymour Hoffman)
  • Luther Sticker, IMF computer expert/hacker (Ving Rhames)
  • John Musgrave, IMF Operations Director (Billy Crudup)
  • Julia Hunt née Meade, Ethan's wife (Michelle Monaghan)
  • Declan Gormley, IMF agent (Jonathan Rhys Meyers)
  • Lindsey Farris, IMF agent (Keri Russell)
  • Zhen Lei, IMF agent (Maggie Q)
  • Benji Dunn, IMF technician (Simon Pegg)
  • Brownway, Henchman (Eddie Marsan)
  • Theodore Brassel, IMF Head (Laurence Fishburne)
  • Rick Meade, Julia's brother (Aaron Paul)
BechdelFail

Also marketed as m:i:iii, in this film we finally get to see Hunt working as part of a larger team. However, once again Hunt's boss has changed, possibly because yet again there is a question over whether someone in IMF is actually a traitor and the audience is unlikely to believe that it might be Sir Anthony Hopkins' character from the preceding film. Scarlatt Johansen had originally been approached to play Lindsey but was unable to due to other commitments,

Mission: Impossible III was the eighth most successful film of the year3, beaten by James Bond film Casino Royale which was fourth.

4. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

DirectorBrad Bird
Mission

Hunt and his team are sent to acquire information from the Kremlin about a Russian megalomaniac with plans to start a nuclear war. Yet they have been set-up; a bomb goes off in the Kremlin to cover up Hendricks' theft of a nuclear-launching device while they are infiltrating it. IMF are blamed and labelled terrorists. With the entire IMF disavowed and chased as wanted criminals, can Hunt and his team operate undercover and prevent the start of a nuclear apocalypse?

Length128 minutes
SettingBudapest, Moscow, Dubai,
Characters
  • Ethan Hunt, IMF agent (Tom Cruise)
  • Benji Dunn, IMF agent and computer expert/hacker (Simon Pegg)
  • William Brandt, IMF analyst and former agent (Jeremy Renner)
  • Jane Carter, IMF agent (Paula Patton)
  • Kurt Hendricks, Russian nuclear expert wishing to start a nuclear war (Michael Nyqvist)
  • Sabine Moreau, assassin (Léa Seydoux)
  • Anatoly Sidorov, Russian agent hunting Hunt for the Kremlin attack (Vladimir Mashkov)
  • Marius Wistrom, henchman (Samuli Edelmann)
  • Leonid Lisenker, kidnapped nuclear code expert (Ivan Shvedoff)
  • Trevor Hanaway, IMF agent and Carter's partner (Josh Holloway)
  • Luther Sticker, cameoing IMF computer expert/hacker (Ving Rhames)
  • Julia Hunt, Ethan's silent, cameoing wife (Michelle Monaghan)
BechdelFail

It took three films for IMF to be shown as a team and now, at the start of the fourth film, the IMF is disbanded. No ghosts appear in the film. Instead of learning the correct etiquette and rules of propriety involved in addressing the undead and deceased, and what to do if the first wife of a widower who has remarried is resurrected, the title 'ghost protocol' means that the whole IMF, not just an individual member or team, has been disavowed. Presumably after preventing the apocalypse they are avowed again at the end.

One character, William Brandt, is haunted by the events of the past, which almost threatens to give the film an element of character development. This time Ethan Hunt does some dangling off the side of the Burj Khalifa, then the world's tallest building in Dubai. Tom Cruise did many of his own stunts halfway up the side of this building, but connected to several cables to ensure he could not plummet to his death that were digitally removed in post-production.

This was director Brad Bird's debut live-action film; he had been chosen as Cruise had been impressed with his animated film The Incredibles (2004), which combined spy and superhero elements. As with other Bird films there are numerous film references and injokes; all Pixar films mention A113 and Ethan Hunt's code is Alpha 113. Similarly, Hendricks discusses nuclear war bringing 'Peace on Earth', a phrase used by insane General Jack D Ripper in 1964 classic Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Many sequences were filmed in 70mm IMAX as Bird believed the format gave a clearer and far more impressive picture than 3D.

Curiously, no explanation is given to how Hendricks knows about IMF's plan to infiltrate the Kremlin and is able to use this knowledge to frame them for his own attack. Presumably the explanation is that there is yet another traitor in IMF, this time undiscovered. This would explain why assassin Sabine Moreau, played by Léa Seydoux, is able to intercept Hanaway's mission at the start of the film. Léa Seydoux would later star in Bond-film Spectre (2015).

2011 was a particularly unimaginative year for film, with every picture in the top ten a sequel, except The Smurfs in ninth, which was a remake. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol came fifth4.

5. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

DirectorChristopher McQuarrie
MissionA former MI6 agent has formed an evil terrorist organisation called The Syndicate which Hunt is determined to destroy. Yet the IMF itself has been closed and merged with the CIA, who do not believe that the Syndicate exists. They consider Hunt himself to be a threat and are hunting Hunt, while the only clue Hunt has to the Syndicate is a mysterious woman who may either be an assassin, or a double-agent trying to infiltrate the Syndicate for MI6. Can she be trusted and can Hunt's friends find and help Hunt before he is killed by the CIA? Will Hunt be able to prevent the assassination of Austria's Chancellor by a Magic Flute at the opera?
Length126 minutes
SettingLondon, Vienna, Casablanca,
Characters
  • Ethan Hunt, IMF agent (Tom Cruise)
  • Benji Dunn, IMF agent and computer expert/hacker (Simon Pegg)
  • William Brandt, IMF Director (Jeremy Renner)
  • Luther Sticker, computer expert/hacker (Ving Rhames)
  • Ilsa Faust, agent who is either working for MI6 or the Syndicate (Rebecca Ferguson)
  • Alan Hunley, Director of the CIA who opposes the IMF (Alec Baldwin)
  • Solomon Lane, former MI6 agent and leader of the Syndicate (Sean Harris)
  • Atlee, Chief of the Secret Intelligence Service (Simon McBurney)
  • Prime Minister (Tom Hollander)
BechdelFail

The film's title caused a degree of concern with Disney, who were developing Star Wars spin-off Rogue One when this film was released, yet this Mission: Impossible film is less about a rogue nation, more about a rogue bloke called Lane. He recruits former agents to create a sinister secret spy network called the Syndicate, with an unknown agenda other than generally being villainous. The threat he poses is vague – in the film he is merely trying to do the equivalent of robbing a really big bank with billions of dollars at stake – but at least he is played with menace while his henchman stare silently.

The film is set in Casablanca while the character Ilsa Faust is named after the character Ilsa Lund from Casablanca (1942) and Faust, the legendary character who makes a deal with the devil. Tom Cruise had previously worked with director Christopher McQuarrie on Jack Reacher (2012).

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation was the eighth most successful film of the year at the box office5, once again finishing behind a Bond film, Spectre, which had a similar plot. Indeed, the opening sequence of this film, in which Hunt dangles out of an aircraft, is similar to one that takes place within Bond film The Living Daylights (1987), although it should be emphasised that Cruise again did his own stunts and dangled off the side of a plane for real. Bond film Quantom of Solace (2008) also features a fight scene behind the scenes of an opera in Austria while Casino Royale (2006) had a car chase scene in which Bond crashes his car rather than run over Vesper Lynd lying in the middle of the road just as this film has a motorbike chase scene in which Hunt crashes rather than run over Isla, who is in the middle of the road.

6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

DirectorChristopher McQuarrie
Mission

After Solomon Lane was captured in the previous film, his terrorist network became a group of mercenaries named the Apostles who plan to buy enough plutonium on the black market to create three nuclear bombs. Hunt is sent to recover the plutonium but by saving Sticker's life, he inadvertently allows the theft of the plutonium by a third party to proceed. Only by masquerading as terrorist John Lark and contacting arms dealer the White Widow can he recover the plutonium, but the seller wants Solomon Lane as payment.

As the IMF were responsible for losing the plutonium the CIA insist that one of their assassins, August Walker, accompanies the team, with Walker prepared to make decisions that Hunt will not. Will Hunt break known terrorist Lane out of prison and hand him over to criminals to prevent the nuclear attack? How will he react when he encounters former ally Ilsa, who is on a mission for MI6 to assassinate Lane? Or indeed learn that his ex-wife has remarried and is working in the blastzone? Will he be able to stop the countdown to a nuclear apocalypse threatening a third of the world's population? Oh, and is there a traitor, 'cos there usually is?

Length141 minutes
SettingParis, London, Siachen Glacier in Kashmir
Characters
  • Ethan Hunt, IMF agent (Tom Cruise)
  • August Walker, CIA Assassin sent to work with the IMF (Henry Cavill)
  • Luther Sticker, computer expert/hacker (Ving Rhames)
  • Benji Dunn, IMF agent and computer expert/hacker (Simon Pegg)
  • Ilsa Faust, MI6 agent following MI6's agenda (Rebecca Ferguson)
  • Solomon Lane, former MI6 agent and leader of the Syndicate (Sean Harris)
  • Erica Sloane, new Director of the CIA (Angela Bassett)
  • Alanna Mitsopolis aka the White Widow, black market arms dealer (Vanessa Kirby)
  • Julia née Meade, Ethan's ex-wife turned doctor (Michelle Monaghan)
  • Alan Hunley, formed CIA head, now Secretary of State (Alec Baldwin)
BechdelFail

A surprisingly good film and despite being the sixth, is actually the best to date. Critics rated it highly and it was the most-successful film in the series in terms of money at the box office, quickly becoming the highest-grossing film to ever star Tom Cruise, although it finished as the eighth most successful film of 20186. Henry Cavill is a particularly strong asset to the film; having been narrowly beaten by Daniel Craig in 2005 when they were casting for an actor to replace Pierce Brosnan as James Bond, he has since played Napoleon Solo in the film remake of The Man from UNCLE (2015).

Nicknamed MI6, this should not be confused with MI6 (Military Intelligence, section 6), the UK's foreign intelligence service. The title 'Fallout' is not referring to what Ethan Hunt does with windows, helicopters and other assorted aircraft but refers both to the danger of terrorists with nuclear weapons as well as Hunt living with the consequences of the actions of his past. One of the nods to the past is that the character of the White Widow is revealed to be the daughter of Max, the arms dealer in the first film.

Once again Tom Cruise did his own stunts for the film. These included car, motorbike and helicopter chase sequences. Another involved his jumping off a roof, which resulted in his breaking his ankle when it impacted on the building he hit. The most difficult stunt was performing the HALO (High Altitude Low Opening, referring to not opening a parachute until you are beneath RADAR) jump in which he jumps out of an aeroplane at 25,000 feet - an altitude in which it is impossible to breathe - rescue the unconscious, falling Walker and pull his parachute. This reportedly took a year of training in which Tom Cruise did eight practice parachute jumps a day and, as the sequence took place at dusk, light conditions were only right for three minutes a day. It took 106 jumps to film the sequence.

Role of Women

It is shocking that none of the films in the series to date have passed the Bechdel Test. After six films and over twelve hours, no two named women have had a single conversation that is not about a man. While it is true that the film series is known for action rather than dialogue, that is still an appalling statistic.

Characters in the Mission: Impossible films are all essentially punch bags, there to be hit and kicked in a variety of entertaining ways. The heroic characters will suffer pain and torture but endure and get their revenge, while the villains and their sadistic henchmen will get their comeuppance and die in the appropriate, fitting manner, despatched by decapitation, defenestration or suffer another demise. While male characters can have gruesome, gory deaths without question, if a female character is so much as rapped on the knuckles by the hero then the film is open to being rapped on the knuckles and accused of being misogynist7. This is because of fears that film violence influences and encourages real brutality and may result in increased aggression towards women, including domestic violence. However this limits the roles that women in this genre of film can have. Consequently, the team usually only has one woman. Her role at some point involves looking glamorous and slowly getting out of a sports car while posing her legs to maximum effect. At some point she will probably be expected to use her feminine wiles to seduce and/or distract someone. While it is acceptable for the villain to punch a woman, the male hero must not as this could be seen as subliminally approving violence towards women.

Similarly, Ethan Hunt has changed boss in every film but one and not once has his superior been a woman. In one film the head of rival organisation the CIA has been female; she, however, was portrayed as making decisions that hinder rather than help Hunt's mission. Similarly, only one baddie has been female and she was a hired assassin rather than the chief villain. Naturally to adhere to gender lines she was fought by that film's token female member of the IMF team. Of the nine recurring characters to have been in more than one Mission: Impossible film, only two have been female and even then one did not have a single line in the second film she appeared in, being merely a voiceless cameo.

Conclusion

The Mission: Impossible film series has been made with great care and attention by established and respected directors and stars many noted, award-winning actors. For action spy films, they have embraced an approach in which stunts are performed for real and not merely created in a computer. Yet the Mission: Impossible series remains very different to the television series it has taken the name and theme tune from. Every viewer has to ask themselves two simple questions: Is it Your Mission: Impossible? Should You choose to accept it?

1Meaning in this case an additional, secondary title rather than the words seen at the bottom of the screen used to transcribe and/or translate dialogue.2The Channel Tunnel consists of two circular tunnels, one per direction, and a service tunnel between with trains powered by overhead electrical lines. The Channel Tunnel shown in the film does not have electric cables and has a large, single, rectangular tunnel in which trains moving in both directions are next to each other. Similarly, Waterloo has never been named 'London Terminus'.3Behind Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, The Da Vinci Code, Ice Age: The Meltdown, Casino Royale, Night at the Museum, Cars and X-Men: The Last Stand.4Behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1.5Behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Minions, Spectre and Inside Out.6Behind Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Incredibles 2, Aquaman, Bohemian Rhapsody and Venom.7This is odd as in real life it is surely a greater evil to kill a man in a hideous manner than punch a woman in the face, which will hurt and bruise in the short term but otherwise in no way prevent her from living a full and active life?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87937384

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more