The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide: 2020 - 2024

0 Conversations

The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide
1937-1949 |
1950-1969 |
1970-1979
1980-1989 |
1990-1999 |
2000-2009
2010-2014 |
2015-2019 |
2020-2024

The Walt Disney Animation Studio is by far the most successful animation studio in the world. Although their story involves both dips and peaks, the beginning of the 2020s involved coping with the impact of the 2020 coronavirus outbreak and its impact on cinemas. With people increasingly moving away from seeing films in cinemas but using online platforms such as Disney+ instead, and knowing that any films that Disney release in the cinema will be available to view within a couple of months, would film-going change forever?

Other challenges faced by Disney during this time were the increasing calls for representation, both in terms of race and the LGBTQ+ community, while China became increasingly more important to Disney than the United States, being the largest cinema-market in the world.

The Classics

In the last 75 years, the Walt Disney Studio has released over 60 animated films it has labelled 'Classics'. Also mentioned is whether these films pass the Bechdel Test. This can be summarised as whether the film involves two or more named female characters who have a conversation together that is not focussed on any male characters.

59. Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

DirectorsDon Hall & Carlos López Estrada
Plot

500 years ago the dragon-shaped land of Kumandra was ravaged by evil Druun, creatures that turned any living thing they encountered into stone. The Druun were defeated by a magical gem used by the last dragon, Sisu, which restored the petrified people but the dragons remained stone statues. 500 years later only the gem survives while the land of Kumandra has been split into five different countries, Fang, Heart, Spine, Talon and Tail. After Chief Benja, ruler of Heart, tried to reunite the countries, their representatives - particularly Princess Namaari of Fang, try to steal Sisu's gem which Heart had guarded and, in the chaos, shatter the gem into five and inadvertently unleash the Druun once more. Chief Benja is turned to stone shortly after he saves his daughter Princess Raya's life, realising that the Druun avoid water.

Raya, having heard that Sisu's remains are at the end of a river, spends six years trying to find the last dragon and resurrect her. Sisu is resurrected but Raya learns that she was actually a weak dragon who had little magical ability, but had been the weakest of the last dragon survivors. Together they try to restore the gem by finding the surviving gem pieces. One piece each having been claimed by each of the different tribes. Each time they find a piece, Sisu gains a magical ability that one of her siblings had, and in each land they travel to they are aided in their quest by someone from that land. Together will they be able to reunite the land and defeat the Druun? Or will Princess Namaari betray them once more?

Length107 minutes
SettingFictional Southeast Asian land of Kumandra 500 years after the land was originally ravaged by monsters known as the Druun.
Fairytale CastlesFang
Perky Princess
  • Raya, warrior princess of Kuandra's Heart and Guardian of the Dragon Gem (Kelly Marie Tran)
  • Namaari, warrior princess of Kuandra's Fang land (Adult: Gemma Chan, Child: Jona Xiao)
Airy Fairy
  • Sisu, last dragon who gains magical powers (Awkwafina)
Animated Animals
  • Tuk Tuk, Raya's armadillo/pill woodlouse steed (Alan Tudyk)
Other Characters
  • Boun, 10-year-old captain of the Shrimporium boat restaurant in Tail (Izaac Wang)
  • Chief Benja, ruler of the Heart Land and Raya's father (Daniel Dae Kim)
  • Tong, giant warrior from Spin (Benedict Wong)
  • Virana, Ruler of Fang and Namaari's mother (Sandra Oh)
  • Little Noi, toddler con-artist from Talon accompanied by Ongi monkeys (Thalia Tran)
BechdelPass

An entirely original story that was inspired by Southeast Asian culture, particularly Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam, although it attracted some criticism for having a predominantly cast of East Asian origin rather than southeast Asia. As the two main characters are princesses who never wear skirts or have intimate relationships with men there were rumours that Disney were going to feature the first two lesbian princesses, which actress Kelly Marie Tran supported. While there are calls in the west, particularly but not exclusively among the LGBTQ+ community, for Disney to portray a main character as gay, homosexuality is illegal in many key markets, particularly China. Transwoman Patti Harrison1 has a minor role as the chief of the Tail Land.

Raya is the first Disney princess not to sing2, with this film not a musical or feature songs. Which might explain why it only made back less than a third of the most successful animated film of the year, Sing 2. In fact even PAW Patrol: The Movie was more successful at the box office, with Raya and the Last Dragon the sixth most successful animated film of the year.

60. Encanto (2021)

DirectorsJared Bush and Byron Howard with Charise Castro Smith
Plot

The Madrigal family have spent 50 years living in a magical home in a remote part of Columbia after a civil war killed Pedro Madrigal, leaving his wife Alma a widow and baby triplets. She gains a magical miraculous candle that creates the magic. These triplets have grown up and had children of their own, and each child born to the family have their own magical powers which they share with their community, except for 15-year-old Mirabel who has no powers of her own.

Mirabel sees that the magic behind their lifestyle is in danger but no-one believes her. Determined to save the day and prove to her disapproving grandmother that she has value, Mirabel tries to learn why her uncle Bruno vanished many years earlier after having had a vision of the future. Will her quest save the day or are her good intentions misinterpreted by her family?

Length109 minutes
SettingColumbia 50 years during the 1950s
Fairytale CastleCasita, the Madrigals' magical sentient home
Family Madrigal
  • Mirabel Madrigal, 15-year-old girl without magic powers (Stephanie Beatriz)
  • Abuela Alma Madrigal, Madrigal matriarch and Mirabel's disproving grandmother (Maria Cecilia Botero, Singing: Olga Merediz)
  • Luisa Madrigal, Mirabel's 19-year-old super-strong sister (Jessica Darrow)
  • Bruno Madrigal, Mirabel's prodigal maternal uncle who predicted the future (John Leguizamo)
  • Julieta Madrigal, Mirabel's mother who has healing powers (Angie Cepeda)
  • Pepa Madrigal, Mirabel's aunt whose emotions control the weather (Carolina Gait´n)
  • Isabela Madrigal, Mirabel's perfect 21-year-old sister who makes flowers grow (Diane Guerrero)
  • Agustin Madrigal, Mirabel's powerless father and husband of Julieta (Wilmer Valderrama)
  • Dolores Madrigal, Mirabel's cousin with super-hearing (Adassa)
  • Camilo Madrigal, Mirabel's 15-year-old shape-shifting cousin (Rhenzy Feliz)
  • Antonio Madrigal, Mirabel's 5-year-old cousin who can understand animals (Ravi-Cabot Conyers)
  • Félix Madrigal, Pepa's husband (Mauro Castillo)
BechdelPass
Songs:Written by Lin-Manuel Miranda:
  • 'The Family Madrigal'
  • 'Colombia, Mi Encanto'
  • 'Waiting on a Miracle'
  • 'Surface Pressure'
  • 'We Don't Talk About Bruno'
  • 'All of You'
  • 'What Else Can I Do? '
  • 'Dos Oruguitas' (flashback)

While most 21st Century Disney films have at least one parental character killed off, only the minor character of Pedro dies in a flashback 50 years before the film is set. Also unusually the main character's voyage of discovery takes place within her own home. There are numerous references to earlier Disney films, including Frozen and the song 'Let It Go' as well as a reference to Hercules.

Widely acclaimed, Encanto won the 2022 Best Animated Feature Oscar. It also was nominated for Best Original Score and Song - but instead of putting forward the popular hit 'We Don't Talk About Bruno' Disney put forward one of the lesser, forgettable songs from the film which attracted comments that this decision may have cost them a Best Song Oscar. Encanto was the second most successful film at the box office of 2021, behind only Illumination's Sing 2.

61. Strange World (2022)

DirectorsDon Hall
Plot

Avalonia is a land completely surrounded by impenetrable mountains no-one has ever passed. Explorer Jaeger Clade is obsessed with finding a way through, dragging his teenage son Searcher on an endless quest until Searcher discovers a strange plant that is filled with electricity, which he names Pando and believes can be a source of clean energy for Avalonia, and returns with his discovery, while Jaeger continues.

Two decades later, Searcher is a farmer and his crop Pando is used to power all of Avalonia - yet it is dying off. As all Pando plants share a single root, it is believed that the root must be dying, somewhere deep underground. With his wife and teenage son - who has a crush on a boy called Diazo who plays no part in the story - they go on an expedition on the airship Venture with Avalonia's sash-wearing President. As they journey to the centre of Avalonia they encounter a weird world with strange creatures, many of which are dangerous and attack on site while others are colourful or simply flying blobs. There Searcher is reunited with his long-lost father as they continue their quest to stop the dying out of Pando. Will the dysfunctional family be able to put aside their differences to complete the mission and save Avalonia?

Length100 minutes
SettingFictional isolated country of Avalonia, which is surrounded by impenetrable mountains, and the fantastic world underneath.
Characters
  • Searcher Clade, son of a famous explorer who wants to be a farmer (Jake Gyllenhaal)
  • Jaeger Clade, explorer obsessed with passing beyond mountains (Dennis Quaid)
  • Ethan Clade, Searcher's 16-year-old gay son (Jaboukie Young-White)
  • Meridian Clade, pilot, Searcher's wife and Ethan's mother (Gabrielle Union)
  • Callisto Mal, Avalonia's President (Lucy Liu)
Animated Animals
  • Legend, dog
  • Splat, strangle blob-like creature
SourcePulp adventure stories
BechdelPass

Finally a Disney film without a dead Dad or passed-away parent, but merely a long-lost one. It is also the first Disney film to feature what they describe as 'the first openly gay main character'. While it is true that Ethan's sexuality is more established than 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it', the love interest, Diazo (Jonathan Melo) barely appears, it is never established whether Ethan's crush is reciprocated and the romance plays no part in the plot. Nevertheless this automatically led the film to be banned in 20 countries worldwide.

As a science-fiction animated film, Strange World bombed, losing approximately $150 million. Which is a shame as the family dynamics played as big part in the plot as pulp storylines such as found in the works of Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Henry Rider Haggard and Arthur Conan Doyle and film King Kong (1933). Yet in the west, science-fiction animated films consistently fail at the box office3, with it believed that the popularity of streaming service Disney+ has encouraged families who are already paying a subscription charge to wait for films to be available online rather than pay additionally to see them in the cinema a month or so earlier. Unusually for a Disney film, Strange World did not break into the top ten most successful animated films of the year.

62. Wish (2023)

DirectorsChris Buck & Fawn Veerasunthorn
Plot

Rosas is an island ruled by sorcerer King Magnifico, who takes the wishes of every adult who lives on the island to protect following their 18th birthday, and grants 12 wishes a year. After learning that some people's wishes will never be granted, including her grandfather's, 17-year-old Asha wishes on a star for a better life for the people of Rosas, which leads to a star - a small, glowing ball of energy - to fly down to help Asha free the people of Rosas' wishes from Magnifico.

Magnifico becomes angry. Will he turn to dark magic to hold onto power?

Length95 minutes
SettingRosas, fictional mediæval island 'deep in the Mediterranean'4
Fairytale CastleKingdom of Rosas
Animated Animals
  • Valentino, Asha's goat (Alan Tudyk)
Characters
  • Asha, 17-year-old girl who wishes upon a star (Ariana DeBose)
  • King Magnifico, ruler of Rosas who keeps his people's wishes (Chris Pine)
  • Queen Amaya, Magnifico's wife (Angelique Cabral)
  • Sabino, Asha's 100-year-old grandfather (Victor Garber)
  • Sakina, Asha's mother and Sabino's daughter (Natasha Rothwell)
Seven Dwarfs Teens
  1. Dahlia, Asha's best friend - based on Doc (Jennifer Kumiyama)
  2. Gabo, small, cynical boy - based on Grumpy (Harvey Guillén)
  3. Hal, happy girl - based on Happy (Niko Vargas)
  4. Simon, strong boy who is always tired having lost his wish - based on Sleepy (Evan Peters)
  5. Safi, boy with allergies - based on Sneezy (Ramy Youssef)
  6. Dario, boy with big, wiggly ears - based on Dopey (Jon Rudnitsky)
  7. Bazeema, shy girl - based on Bashful (Della Saba)
BechdelPass
Songs:By Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice unless stated:
  • 'Welcome to Rosas'
  • 'At All Costs'
  • 'This Wish' by Julia Michaels, Benjamin Rice, and JP Saxe'
  • 'I'm a Star'
  • 'This Is The Thanks I Get?! '
  • 'Knowing What I Know Now'
  • 'A Wish Worth Making'
  • 'When You Wish Upon A Star' Music by Leigh Harline, lyrics by Ned Washington

Wish was a film made to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company, and so was filled with nods to previous animated Disney films. The look of Dahlia borrows heavily from Snow White and the main character's seven friends were deliberately chosen to reflect the seven dwarfs. As the kingdom is full of wishes, one boy resembling Peter Pan dreams of flying, Asha wishes to be a sorcerer's apprentice, there is a bear called John like Little John in Robin Hood, a deer called Bambi, there are costumes like Cinderellla's Fairy Godmother and a woman who wishes to be a dressmaker seems to make Sleeping Beauty's dress. Dialogue refers to Mary Poppins, 'poor, unfortunate souls', there is also a book beginning.

The film's underlying message seems to be that absolute power will always corrupt absolutely and so no-one person should have the power to decide who gets to grant wishes - except of course for the female protagonist, in which case that's fine. The absolute power that always corrupts absolutely probably won't affect her as she's wished on a star. Wish flopped at the box office. Wish also has the third lowest Rotten Tomatoes score for any animated Disney Classic film, ahead of only Chicken Little and Brother Bear. It had the fifth highest box office of any 2023 animated film, after Illumination's The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Columbia/Sony's Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Pixar's Elemental and China's Chang'an.

Co-Productions and Other Animated Films

  • Ron's Gone Wrong (2021)
  • The Bob's Burgers Movie (2022)
  • Disenchanted (2022) - Live Action/Animation Hybrid

Ron's Gone Wrong was a co-production made by new British animation studios Locksmith Animation and DNEG (Double Negative), financed by TSG Entertainment and distributed by Disney company 20th Century Fox..

Pixar

  • Onward (2020)
  • Soul (2020)
  • Luca (2021)
  • Turning Red (2022)
  • Lightyear (2022)
  • Elemental (2023)

Live Action Remakes

During this period Walt Disney Pictures continued remaking previously animated films in live action, with mixed results. Many of these contained various degrees of computer animation including computer-animated main characters seen in The Jungle Book and Dumbo. However an 'Animated' film is a very specific term and relates to how a film is made, not how it appears.

The Lion King remake featured only computer-generated characters. Despite this, it is still technically classed as a 'live action' film and not 'animation'. Since the controversy over whether the motion-capture film Happy Feet (2006) should be classed as an animation, and to exclude films such as Avatar (2010) from qualifying, Animation is defined by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as 'a motion picture in which movement and characters' performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique, a significant number of the major characters are animated, and animation figures in no less than 75 percent of the running time'. These will be discussed in greater detail elsewhere.

  • Mulan (1998/2020)
  • 101 Dalmatians (1961) / Cruella (2021)
  • Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022)
  • Pinocchio (1940/2022)
  • Peter Pan / Peter Pan & Wendy (1940/2023)
  • The Little Mermaid (2023)

Into the Future

1Not to be confused with George Harrison's wife née Patti Boyd.2Excluding Pixar princess Merida from Brave (2012).3This century, Titan AE (2000) lost approximately $100 million, Treasure Planet (2002) lost approximately $70 million, Mars Needs Moms (2011) lost over $100 million. Even Lightyear (2022) flopped.4Meaning the middle, not underwater.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87962836

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more