The Ultimate Illumination Animated Film Guide: 2020 - 2024

0 Conversations

The Illumination Film Guide:
2010-2014 | 2015-19 | 2020-2024

Illumination is an animation production company founded by Chris Meledandri in 2007 for Universal Studios and best known for their Despicable Me and Minions series. Despite this they faced the challenge of turning their initial success with one film series into a wider success, creating a successful number of animated films featuring different characters rather than remain a one-hit wonder.

Below is a summary of the films made by Illumination in this period, with recurring characters and actors are shown in Bold. Also mentioned is whether the films pass the The Bechdel Test. This can be summarised as whether the film involves two or more named female characters who have a conversation together that does not include or mention any male characters.

11. Sing 2 (2021)

DirectorGarth Jennings
Plot

Buster Moon, a theatre-enthusiast koala who has led his singing stars to thriving small town success, now dreams of making it big in Redshore City. After a talent scout Suki tells him he does not have what it takes, he is determined to prove her wrong. With all his most talented singers he auditions for hotel and theatre mogul Jimmy Crystal. After the audition starts badly, Moon and Gunter lie and improvise a science-fiction show, promising that it would star reclusive rock star Clay Callaway. Crystal greenlights the show on condition that Callaway agrees to star and his daughter, Porsha, star in it despite her inability to act. Otherwise Moon will suffer violent consequences.

Will each member of his troop overcome their individual demons to be able to succeed in the glitzy glamorous showbusiness world of Redshore City?

Length110 minutes
SettingRedshore City
The Stars
  • Buster Moon, koala theatre owner and show producer (Matthew McConaughey)
  • Miss Crawley, clumsy elderly iguana secretary (Garth Jennings)
  • Rosita, pig mother who would have been star of the show (Reese Witherspoon)
  • Ash, porcupine teenage punk rocker and Clay Callaway's biggest fan (Scarlett Johansson)
  • Johnny, gorilla teenage pianist who is struggling to dance (Taron Egerton)
  • Meena, teenage elephant with stage fright during her romance scenes (Tori Kelly)
  • Gunter, dancing pig who creates the story for the show (Nick Kroll)
Other Characters
  • Jimmy Crystal, wolf owner of Crystal Entertainment hotel and theatre (Bobby Cannavale)
  • Porsha Crystal, Jimmy's spoilt and enthusiastic daughter who wants to perform (Halsey)
  • Alfonso, ice-cream vendor that Meena fancies (Pharrell Williams)
  • Suki, Crystal's dog assistant and talent scout (Chelsea Peretti)
  • Nooshy, street dancing lynx (Letitia Wright)
  • Darius, egocentric Yak who is the show's love interest opposite Meena (Eric André)
  • Klaus Kickenklober, long-nosed monkey and bullying dance instructor (Adam Buxton)
  • Nana Noodleman, famous retired sheep singer (Jennifer Saunders)
  • Big Daddy, gorilla gang leader and Johnny's father (Peter Serafinowicz)
  • Clay Calloway, reclusive retired rock star following the death of his wife (Bono)
  • Norman, Rosita's supportive husband (Nick Offerman)
MusicIncluding:
  • 'There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back' by Shawn Mendes, Teddy Geiger, Geoffrey Warburton and Scott Harris
  • 'Let's Go Crazy' by Prince
  • 'Suéltate (from Sing 2)' by Sam Spiegel, Bianca Landrau, Jarina de Marco, and Abby-Lynn Keen
  • 'Can't Feel My Face' by Savan Kotecha, Max Martin, Ali Payami, Peter Svensson, Abel Tesfaye
  • 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' by Elton John and Bernie Taupin
  • 'Heads Will Roll' by Brian Chase, Karen Orzolek, Nick Zinner
  • 'Holes' by Jonathan Donahue, David Fridmann, Sean Mackowiak, Adam Snyder
  • 'Bad Guy' by Billie Eilish O'Connell, Finneas O'Connell
  • 'Where the Streets Have No Name' by Bono
  • 'Higher Love' by Will Jennings and Steve Winwood
  • 'Break Free' by Savan Kotecha, Max Martin and Anton Zaslavski
  • 'Your Song Saved My Life (From Sing 2)' by Adam Clayton, Bono, Larry Mullen Jr, and The Edge
  • 'There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back' by Shawn Mendes, Teddy Geiger, Scott Harris, and Geoff Warburton
  • 'Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of' by Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr, and Adam Clayton
  • 'Soy Yo (Sing 2 Mix)' by Joe London, Eric Frederic, Liliana Saumet, Federico Simón Mejía Ochoa
  • 'A Sky Full of Stars' by Avicii, Guy Berryman, Jon Buckland, Will Champion and Chris Martin
  • 'Could Have Been Me' by Adam Slack, Luke Spiller, Joshua Michael Wilkinson, Rick Parkhouse and George Tizzard
  • 'I Say A Little Prayer' by Burt Bacharach and Hal David
Sequel ToSing (2016)
Spin OffsShort Films (2017):
  • Gunter Babysits
  • Love at First Sight
  • Eddie's Life Coach
BechdelPass?

A simple story with predictable plot that nevertheless tales its heart-warming tale with charm. This was the most successful animated film to be released in the pandemic affected year of 2021, though in many countries worldwide it was not released until early 2022. The first scene to feature Ash features her leaving a show after being underpaid, which cheekily reflects how actress Scarlett Johannson took Disney to court following being underpaid for her work on Black Widow (2021). Garth Jennings had previously directed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005).

12 . Minions: The Rise of Gru (202?)

DirectorKyle Balda
Plot

In 1976 young schoolchild Gru dreams of becoming a supervillain and working with his favourite villains of all time, the Vicious 6. After Wild Knuckles, the 6's elderly leader, steals the magical Zodiac Stone amulet he is betrayed by the others and Belle Bottom declares herself the new leader, and holds auditions for a new member. Gru applies, and hoping to impress the gang, steals the Zodiac Stone from under them, entrusting it to Otto, one of his Minions, who promptly gives it away.

While the five members of the Vicious 6 try to track Gru down, Wild Knuckles kidnaps Gru and takes him to San Francisco, and will only trade him for the Zodiac Stone. After Gru saves his life Knuckles teaches Gru about becoming a supervillain. Will the Vicious 6 find Gru and the stone, and what is their plan for the stone and how does it relate to the Chinese New Year celebrations being held?

Length88 minutes
Setting1976, New York and San Francisco
Characters
  • Gru, 11-year-old who dreams of being a supervillain (Steve Carrell)
  • Minions, including Kevin, Bob, Stuart, Otto (Pierre Coffin)
  • Marlena, Gru's disapproving mother (Julie Andrews)
  • Master Chow, acupuncturist kung fu instructor (Michelle Yeoh)
  • Dr Nefario, wannabe mad scientist who works in a record shop (Russell Brand)
  • Silas Ramsbottom, Anti-Villain League agent (Steve Coogan)
  • Mr Perkins, cashier at the Bank of Evil (Will Arnett)
  • Uncle, a biker (RZA)
Vicious 6Gang of Supervillains
  1. Wild Knuckles, deposed leader (Alan Arkin)
  2. Belle Bottom, new leader of the Vicious 6 (Taraji P Henson)
  3. Jean-Clawed, lobster-clawed villain (Jean-Claude Van Damme)
  4. Nun-chuck, nunchuck-wielding nun (Lucy Lawless)
  5. Svengeance, roller-skating villain (Dolph Lundgren)
  6. Stronghold, metal-handed strong villain (Danny Trejo)
Music
  • 'Shining Star' by Philip Bailey, Lorenzo 'Larry' Dunn, Maurice White
  • 'Despicable Me' by Heitor Pereira and Pharrell Williams
  • 'Bad Moon Rising' by John Fogerty
  • 'All the Young Dudes' by David Bowie
  • 'Get Down Tonight' by Harry Wayne Casey and Richard Finch
  • 'Goodbye to Love' by John Bettis and Richard Carpenter
  • 'Blitzkrieg Bop' by Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone and Tommy Ramone
  • 'Fly Like an Eagle' by Steve Miller
  • 'More, More, More' by Gregg Diamond
  • 'Funkytown' by Steve Greenberg
  • 'Dance to the Music' by Sly Stone
  • 'Turn Up the Sunshine' by Jack Antonoff, Patrik Berger, Sam Dew and Kevin Parker
  • 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
  • 'Funkytown' by Steve Greenberg
Others in the Series
  • 1. Despicable Me (2010)
  • 4. Despicable Me 2 (2013)
  • 5. Minions (2015)
  • 8. Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Spin OffsShorts unless stated:
  • Home Makeover (2010)
  • Orientation Day (2010)
  • Banana (2010)
  • Minion Mayhem (2012) – Theme Park attraction
  • Puppy (2013)
  • Panic in the Mailroom (2013)
  • Training Wheels (2013)
  • Binky Nelson Unpacified (2015)
  • Competition (2015)
  • Cro Minion (2015)
  • Mower Minions (2016)
  • The Secret Life of Kyle (2017)
  • Yellow is the New Black (2018)
BechdelPass

This film was delayed by two years, originally expected to be released in July 2020 and finally in cinemas in 2022 due to the COVID pandemic. When finally released it unusually caused a brief craze for teenage boys to watch the film while wearing suits in a #Gentleminions meme, which often involved those participating in throwing bananas around the screen and other disruptive behaviour. This led to many cinemas banning children in suits from seeing the film, including children in their school uniform. An unusually high percentage of teenage boys saw this film. It was a huge financial success, with the Despicable Me/Minions the first animated film series to make over $4 billion.

13 . The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

DirectorsAaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic
Plot

Heavily American-sounding plumber Mario and his brother Luigi wish to establish their own plumbing company, and investigate a major leak in New York. During their investigation they find a warp pipe that transports them to two different lands, with Mario landing in Mushroom Kingdom and Luigi finding himself in the Dark Lands ruled by Bowser, king of the Koopas. Bowser has captured the Super Star and plans to invade the Mushroom Kingdom if its ruler, Princess Peach, refuses to marry him.

Will Mario and Princess Peach, assisted by Toad, be able to convince Donkey Kong in the Jungle Kingdom to unite with them to fight against Bowser? Can Mario rescue his brother? What on Earth have they done to Mario's voice?

Length92 minutes
SettingNew York, Mushroom Kingdom and
Characters
  • Mario, American New York plumber (Chris Pratt)
  • Princess Peach, ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom (Anya Taylor-Joy)
  • Bowser, King of the Koopas in love with Peach (Jack Black)
  • Donkey Kong, prince of the Jungle Kingdom (Seth Rogen)
  • Luigi, Mario's younger brother and plumber (Charlie Day)
  • Toad, adventure-seeker (Keegan-Michael Key)
  • Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong's father (Fred Armisen)
  • Spike, Mario and Luigi's former boss (Sebastan Maniscalco)
  • Kamek, Koopa sorcerer (Kevin Michael Richardson)
  • Mario and Luigi's father (Charles Martinet)
MusicBrian Tyler, working with Mario composer Koji Kondo
  • 'Peaches' by Jack Black
BechdelFail

On release the film quickly became the most successful film adaptation of a computer game of all time. Unlike the previous live action adaptation in the 1990s, it includes numerous references to the original game series and includes music cues from the games, background details that reference them as well as power-ups.

Into the Future


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87962854

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more