The h2g2 Post: 16.03.20

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 16th March 2020

Of 42 and Other Numbers

Snow and Trees by Dmitri Gheorgheni

To tidy out cupboards, throw rubbish from sight

(Even the poems you write up at night)

Is morally wrong.

So I’m keeping this one.


Anonymous British Poet
The British woman who wrote that has a poetry compulsion that is part of her neurological condition. The scientists who are studying her brain called that poem 'banal'. We disagree. We think it's deep, and those scientists should stick to their MRIs and let us literary types do the poetry parsing. We have a poem for you in this issue, by our own Paigetheoracle, that may take some parsing, too. Please read and comment.

Yeah, 42 was all over social media this past week. Why? Because The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio show celebrated its 42nd anniversary. People were waxing nostalgic about when they first heard the programme – a fun thing to do. I was lying in bed in a cupboard of a student housing unit in Cologne, Germany, when out of the aether came this hilarious tale of space madness, courtesy of BFBS1. Like everyone else, I found it inspirational.

But you know what? I'm suspecting something about this '42' meme talk on social media. I'm suspecting that some of those trendy social media people are going around saying, '42' and meaning, 'I know a meme. Now I'm cool, right?' Well…do you remember what the 42 was for? The computer Deep Thought told the scientists in this parable that 42 was the 'answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.' The problem, of course, was that they didn't know what the question was. The moral of the story was that life isn't about looking up the answers in the back of the book: life is about asking questions. Inquiry is the name of our game. And we're not throwing away the poems our brains write up at night, so there.

Here's to another 42 years of inquiry. And here's what the h2g2 Post Contributors have been asking themselves this week.

Obligatory Tree Root by Paigetheoracle
  • Willem asks, what was a pyrotherium like when it was at home, which was quite a long time ago? Take a look.
  • I ask, why does it keep snowing in Pennsylvania? I don't get any answers, but I do get some photos and music out of it. So will you.
  • Milla asks, why doesn't everyone want a snake in their house? Robbie Stamp provided one answer by yelping when he saw her photo. Take a gander.
  • Mrs McGillicuddy asks, why is big old Grady the dog such a pushover? Help her answer the question by captioning her poignant photo. Also enjoy her guest performance on the piano.
  • Freewayriding asks, how many treats will the elite eat if we rustle up some truffles for the bake sale? You'll want some, too.
  • Paige inquires into history, and sends us some more Factoid Fred stuff.
  • bobstafford undertakes to answer a question that was raised a few weeks ago: what is the difference between Landscape and Portrait orientations, and how did it get that way?
  • Our cartoonists muse on life, and fashion, and the minimoon. Willem gives you all a golden opportunity: write a caption or story for his fantasy creation. You'll want to give it a try. Another don't-miss is the Picture Quiz, courtesy of Solnushka (so it's a Russian picture quiz).

We also have the usual: zen-like writing advice, best read in a trance, cinema from Awix that's timely and sure to inform, enlighten, and possibly bemuse, random ideas and inspirational flashes that will send you scurrying to your camera, stylus, or keyboard. We hope so: send Stuff, people. Ask the questions. The answers will take care of themselves.



And have a great week!


Quote of the Week: As The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy reaches 42 years, perhaps we should never have laughed at the Telephone Sanitisers (Second Class)...
ProfDanny (Twitter)




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com



Mailbox
SashaQ says:
Live Long and Prosper!
We recommend the Vulcan salute!
Social distancing=Staying hoopy!



Create March 2020 by Freewayriding
March Create Challenge:
Exterior Decorating
Improve the World with One Suggestion!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

MOODS OF NATURE

STATES OF MIND


WHIMSICAL WORLD


Snake!

Pelle the Snake by Milla


RANDOM THOUGHTS




Video
Just an Old-Fashioned
Love Song
BLACK AND WHITE
WORDS AND PICTURES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1=British Forces Broadcasting System.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87969190

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more