The h2g2 Post: 25.05.20

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 25th May 2020

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Mystery Seedlings by FWRMystery Seedlings by FWRMystery Seedlings by FWR

Those pictures? Oh, yeah, We have a tale to tell about those pictures, and we need your help. When Freewayriding gets into something – be it photography, or biking, or having nocturnal hallucinations, or whatever – he goes all out. He is constitutionally incapable of doing anything moderately. Which explains these photos.

You see, he's gone into home gardening. Lockdown, recovering from Covid-19, you get the idea.

He sculpted, landscaped, and generally terraformed his garden until it could take several prizes in the garden show, all at once. In different categories. I believe there are whole ecosystems in there. (You can see some pictures in this issue.) And, of course, he wanted to grow some veg. So…

The nitwit started seedlings in all of these containers, and labelled them in pen, and then watered them and erased all the labels…

When we stopped laughing, we promised to help. Please, plant experts: see if you can help FWR identify his plants. Maybe he'll mail you a carrot, or something.

This whole issue is as mad as that story. Spring has well and truly broken out, friends, even in western Pennsylvania. The bunnies are hopping, the seedlings growing mysteriously, the birds crowding the bird feeder, the hummingbirds humming…we love it!
Gator in Water by Phred Firecloud
Here are some of this week's highlights:
  • Take a virtual boat ride through the Everglades with Phred Firecloud. Join Willem for a time travel trip to visit a Cladosictis. Admire photographic glimpses of sky, water, gardens. Look at a tapir in a new way. Enjoy some nature-related videos.
  • Laugh at the humour. Try the quiz. Join in the discussions of cinema and television writing. Caption the cats. Catch up with your favourite comics and cartoons.
  • Appreciate Sasha's heavy metal video. You can't say we don't offer variety.
  • Learn a new recipe from an old source. The Truman Library, dedicated to former US president Harry S, has generously shared its historic jello recipe, a favourite with the man who famously declared, 'The buck stops here.' (Apparently, so did the cream cheese.)
  • Appreciate what people are doing at home, from photographing their lava lamp at an unusual angle to getting really creative with their gardens to engineering supersonic cows.

Next Monday starts a new month, June, in case you've lost count. The June Create theme is all about encountering nature where you are. In next week's issue, we're all about the birds. You will not believe all the birds. If you have some, or insects, or flowers, animals, more garden stuff, send it in. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay snarky!

PS Happy Towel Day! Remember to show your towel some love. Give it a bath, and take it out to the garden or balcony with you. Let it wave to the people.


Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com



In the interest of improving the quality of our post-Post discourse, the Editor would like to request the following:
  1. To comment, remember that it is necessary to be logged in. If you aren't a member of h2g2, why not join1? If you are a member and have sign-in issues, do not contact the Post Editor, a notorious technoweenie. Instead, send an email to moderators-at-h2g2-dot-com2.
  2. Before posting, READ the whole article or item. Do NOT read just until you see a word which you recognise.
  3. Do the author, artist, or photographer the courtesy of addressing their contribution, rather than nattering on some unrelated topic. Nobody wants to hear how much more interesting you think you are than what's in the Post.
  4. If you should happen to see a post in a thread that answers to description (3), please do not reply to that post. Ignore the clueless one. We've found it works pretty well in the long run.
  5. Enjoy the discussion!


Create May 2020 by Freewayriding
May Create Challenge:
If I Could
Share Your Thoughts


Dmitri Gheorgheni

WILD AND WONDERFUL
Everglades Boat Ride

Spoonbill by Phred.

INTERNAL AFFAIRS

X-TREME GARDENING
AND OTHER HOME PURSUITS


Zen Garden

Zen Garden by FWR


CASUAL ELEGANCE




Empty Street
Empty Street by bobstafford
LOLZ'N'SUCH
  • Video
  • Merrily the bees are humming.

STORY TIME


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1The process takes less than five Earth minutes, is painless, requiring only an email address and a bit of imagination, and will not obligate you to anything. We value your privacy and would love to have your contributions. Just click on 'Sign In or Register' above.2The Moderators will handle your technical problems, but not your PICNIC3 issues. They are not licenced psychotherapists.3PICNIC=Problem in Chair, Not In Computer.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87980151

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more