The h2g2 Post 26.10.20

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 26th October 2020

The Goblins Will Get You, If You Don't Watch Out

Seymour the Groundhog by DG.

That's Seymour, the groundhog. I think he prefers the term 'woodchuck'. In a few weeks, he will be going to bed. He will only get up in February to pitch woo. Many of us would envy this lifestyle, especially in 2020. Right now, Seymour and the other furry critters in the Post Office South Forty are fattening themselves up. (We're trying to help.) We have a video for you to enjoy.

Halloween is upon us, and alas, the real world outside is scarier than the worlds of our imaginations. We hate this. Especially since we can't look forward to being trick-or-treated this year. So we're offering you a consolation prize: a lovely Halloween issue full of scary stories, seasonal quizzes, and loads of surprises. It won't make up for the usual crowd of adorable two-foot-high goblins, but at least you'll have some fireside entertainment.

Here are some of this week's highlights:
    A forest walk, by Paigetheoracle.
  • Lots of quizzes. Spot-the-this and guess-the-that. Bonus question: find two auspicious occurrences of the number 42 in this issue.
  • Scary stories. B4 continues with 'Into You', now in its fifth installment, while FWR sneaks in with a chilling little short-short you're sure to like. X'Bert the Alien also makes an appearance as film auteur. He hopes you will enjoy the time-travelogue.
  • Scary photos! Things happen in cemeteries. Things happen to statues, and antifa isn't even involved. You will be surprised.
  • 'What happened to the beautiful nature photos?' I hear you asking. Fear not: there are beautiful nature photos. Be nice and appreciate these photos.
  • Humour. Cinema. Really thoughtful Stuff.
Reader and writer alert: on 1st November, the novel-writing madness will begin. This year's theme is 'Holes in History', and so far, we've been promised every kind of hole from those made with swords to the holes in bagels. There is, seriously, something for everyone this year. If you're planning to write, and haven't done so yet, please leave your novel homepage's A-number in the thread below the operating instructions (to be found on this page). As usual, the Editor is available to answer questions. Remember that these novelists are going to need readers. Drop by and read the introductory copy and bookmark your favourites.

So, don't eat all the candy at once. Try to maintain a balanced diet: eat some popcorn along with those Milk Duds. If you see any ectoplasmic entities, please remind them politely to wear masks and socially distance. And have a good week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Asteroid 2018VP1, a refrigerator-sized space-rock, is hurtling towards us at more than 40,000 km/hr.

It may buzz-cut Earth on Nov 2, the day before the Presidential Election.

It's not big enough to cause harm. So if the World ends in 2020, it won’t be the fault of the Universe.


– Neil deGrasse Tyson


Create October 2020 by FreewayridingCreate November 2020 by Freewayriding
October Create Challenge:
How to Be a Good Ancestor
November Create Challenge:
Holes in History


Video Extra: Samurai Fred


PERFECTIONS OF NATURE
Bee + Aster

Bee and aster by Tavaron.


MENTAL GYMNASTICS

  • Caiman
  • Pacifying the Offspring (2).

HALLOWEEN (I)

This material is not for the faint-hearted. You have been warned.


Haunted Student

The last toilette of Charlotte Corday.


HALLOWEEN (II)




Scary Story
A troll under a bridge by FWR.

MWAHAHA
  • Video
  • Black walnut season roundup.

STORYLINES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87996983

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more