Chapter 19: Musical Innovation

1 Conversation

Chapter 19: Musical Innovation

A square piano.

October 21, 1844, Monday.

There was a flurry of excitement at the door of the Peace and Poverty. George Morrow's giant Conestoga wagon was drawn up on the street outside. George and his burly helpers were unloading a large crate, about three feet in height and almost six feet long. Jim Tanner helped by clearing the way for the delivery, making sure the doors were open, and there was nothing they could trip over. The Gallagher kids and a few hotel guests watched with interest.

'This thing weighs a ton!' huffed one of the draymen.

'Just don't drop it!' cautioned Mr Dougherty. 'It came all the way from Philadelphy!' He was there to supervise the unloading of his newest acquisition – a present for his daughter Kate. Kate, a pretty girl of twelve, was standing shyly inside the door with Mrs Gallagher, with a look of anticipation on her face.

The crate was carefully manhandled up the stairs to the 'best parlour' of the Peace and Poverty, away from dirt and the tawdry reality of pioneer life. Here, amid the finer furniture, good carpet, and lace of Mr Dougherty's private ambitions to gentility, the new piece would have its place of honour.

'Where do we put it?' asked George Morrow.

'Against this wall next to the corridor,' was the answer. 'The salesman said it has to go on an inside wall. Otherwise, it will be out of tune.' Jim's ears pricked up at this. Out of tune?

The crate was dismantled, and there it stood in all its glory: straight from musical Philadelphia. The first-ever piano in Brookville, Pennsylvania. It was a 'square piano', its ivory keys adding a touch of exotic elegance to the fine room. John Dougherty looked at his new possession with evident satisfaction.

'Kate! Come here and see your piano! And give us a demonstration.'

Kate, blushing at the attention, stepped to the piano, caressing its smooth mahogany veneer. 'It's beautiful, Father.' Someone brought the stool, and she sat down and touched the keys tentatively at first, and then with more confidence.

'I learned this song from Cousin Emily in Erie,' she said. 'It's the most popular song in America right now.' And she played 'Long, Long Ago', which everybody was playing on the piano these days. As she gained confidence, the others sang along.

Tell me the tales that to me were so dear

Long, long ago, long, long ago

Sing me the songs I delighted to hear

Long, long ago, long ago

Now you are come all my grief is removed

Let me forget for how long you have roved

Let me believe that you love as you loved

Long, long ago, long ago.


Jim was fascinated by the way the piano worked. The sheet music he'd seen began to make more sense. The tone was different from a fiddle's: it added a richness that he liked. His musical imagination began to formulate ideas. He almost didn't hear Mr Dougherty's request.

'Jim? Bring your violin up. Both of you play together!' Jim didn't have to be invited twice: he ran to get his instrument.

Kate played her party piece again. Jim picked up the melody and played sweetly alongside, careful to match Kate's rhythm the way he did when he played with George. Then he asked Kate to play it again. This time, he improvised over her tune. The musicians, and the audience, were delighted with this simple exercise.

Everybody adjourned to the downstairs dining room for a 'reception'. George Morrow and his men were paid and given refreshments before they went on their journey. If they were annoyed at the absence of hard liquor to go along with the cakes and sandwiches, they didn't show it. John Dougherty was known to be generous in other ways. The hotel owner was bursting with pride over his daughter and her new piano. His secret wish was to make Brookville a really refined part of civilisation. The piano was a step in the right direction, as far as he was concerned.

Jim said to Kate, 'You played that real good.'

Kate shrugged. 'Not really. I only know a couple of songs I learned at my cousin's. But I really want to get better at it. Now that we have a piano, Mr Gottschalk is going to give me lessons. He comes up from Franklin every couple of weeks on business. I'm going to learn to read music and everything.'

Jim was suitably impressed. 'Once I learn music in Pittsburgh, I'll come back and we'll play more duets.' Kate agreed that this would be a fine thing.

Later, as he and Kate practised a few more tunes, Kate invited Jim to try it himself. He soon got the hang of playing the notes, figuring out how to control the dynamics and use the pedal. He amused Kate by picking out fiddle tunes on the instrument, playing figures and even trills on the keys.

'This is a beautiful instrument, Kate,' he concluded. 'You will be the musical wonder of Jefferson County!'

Kate laughed. 'If it gets me out of any more fancy sewing, that will be more than enough.'

Coming of Age in Brookville Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88006151

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more