A Medical Saga (Illustrated)

2 Conversations

A Medical Saga (Illustrated)

At the beginning of the autumn, I was getting uncomfortable around my middle. Eating had to be by small doses, and I was getting short of breath while walking.

I was very scared that it could be malignant – because the first sign of my mother's cancer was her abdomen full of fluids, so I went to the Urgent care on a weekend, slightly panicked.

They sent me over to the gynaecology department for a check and let me know that no, it's not fluid. But you do have fibroids on your uterus, and that's why things were getting uncomfortable. It was reaching almost up to my navel.

So fibroids? That's muscle, right? I had to process that, and what happened was two drawings, your regular "vanilla" uterus, and my first impression of #bruterus. On steroids, ripped, strong and impressive. Tall too.

CuterusRipped Bruterus

Then I went for a follow-up exam, and learned that rather than muscle, it was endometrial tissue embedded in the uterus wall – adenomyoma – and my impression of #bruterus changed radically.

Bruterus

There was two 5 cm lumps on the side towards the back, and one 5 cm lump on the lower front side. Plus generally enlarged.

#bruterus was evicted, and two days later, it feels like I had a really hard work out (waaayyyyy too many sit-up crunches...) but I'm already up and about – not taking any long walks or strenous work, of course.

For a more factual piece on what to expect of your hysterectomy, see this entry.

Create Challenge Archive

Milla

21.12.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88008825

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more