The h2g2 Post 05.04.21

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 5th April 2021

Renewal

Budgie by Tavaron.
For some people, today is Easter. For others, not yet. (Waves at Solnushka.) A couple of weeks ago, some of us – maybe some of the same us – celebrated Nowruz. (Hint to the White House: next year, use plastic goldfish.) Down south, Willem's getting ready for winter, but north of the equator, we're all about spring and thoughts of renewal.

This is a particularly hopeful topic for us this year, as we're all wishing for a speedy end to the pandemic and better times to come. So we particularly enjoy noticing signs of what professional thinking persons have called the Eternal Return: cool stuff that happens every spring, like crocuses popping up, or the snow finally melting, or baby birds leaving the nest. (See Tavaron's picture.)

One thing that never changes around here, though, is snark. Snark never goes away. It is a recurring phenomenon, like heartburn or silliness in the comment threads. Thus it is with us: this issue will wow you. It will also make you laugh, we hope.

A short flyover by our preview drone:

  • Nature will surprise you this week. It certainly surprised us. Willem has found an insect that…well, I would have sworn it was made out of those kids' plastic construction tools. See what you think. Also, there's a weather report from Austria and a farm report from Pennsylvania. See what else you can spot. Personally, I want one of those South African squirrels. I don't want one of those bugs.
  • People from the past surprise us, too. Who knew Rudyard Kipling would have such an, er, interesting take on excessive flag affection? Or that Kurt Vonnegut's dad had such an original solution to an architectural problem? You'd almost think he was a Tralfamadorian, or something.
  • Humour will startle you. It usually does. Bluebottle's at it again. Remember to keep up with the ongoing stories.
  • Some of this Stuff will make you scratch your head. Whether it's the artist moving the moon or Twitter's take on an old map of Connecticut, we guarantee you will see things here you haven't see before. We didn't say that was a good thing.


Note: please give the April Create challenge a try. The Team want your thoughts on not seeing the woods (forest) for the trees.

We'll be back next week with more Stuff. (Send more Stuff!) Enjoy the weather, stay safe, and try not to eat too many marshmallow peeps. (We said try.)


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Then Humbaba brought the most vengeful bowls of date syrup to the temple of Utnapishtim. There the doorposts were the strongest, and the hawk had the kingly wisdom of a pillar.

Gilgamesh Bot on Twitter


Create April 2021 by Freewayriding
April 2021 Create Challenge:
Can't See the
Wood (Forest) for the Trees


Video Extra: Thirty-Second Theatre


NATURAL OCCURENCES
South African
Tree Squirrel

South African Tree Squirrel by Willem


UNNATURAL THINKING

RANDOM EVENTS

Quite a Sign

Toilet Sign by Paigetheoracle.

OBSERVED



Obligatory Cats
Miss Beanie and Midnight, by FWR .
LOLZ
STORY TELLERS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88012956

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more