Post Creative Challenge for July 2023: The Road Taken

0 Conversations

Don't Panic! You can still get your monthly Create fix. Just follow the h2g2 Post's monthly challenges. You can procrastinate your writing exercises the same as usual.

Post Creative Challenge for July 2023: The Road Taken

A country road disappearing in the distance past a large tree.'

If you attended school in the US, chances are good you had to read a poem called 'The Road Not Taken'. It begins:


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood...

You may even have sung the poem set to music in school choir. If you had a question about it on a test, you dutifully lied and said the poem's meaning was that sometimes on the 'road of life', a person could make a fateful decision to make a bold move – to strike out on the 'road less traveled by'. This would be a Noble Thing to do. You would get an A for this lie.

The ghost of Robert Frost would laugh for the 42,000th time, no doubt.

According to Frost, he wrote that poem to poke gentle fun at his English friend Edward Thomas. Thomas, also a poet, was chronically indecisive. Once, on a walk together, they'd taken a fork in the road. Thomas spent the rest of the walk telling Frost how much nicer the other fork would have been. Frost sent Thomas the poem as a joke. Thomas interpreted the poem more or less the same way as your English teacher did. Sigh.

For this challenge, I'm going to ask you to try to ignore a hundred years' worth of bad English essays and tell me about 'The Road Taken'.

Have you ever set out to get somewhere, failed utterly, but found yourself on an entirely different sort of trip? What happened to you?

The journey in question could be literal, like the New Yorker who thought he was getting a bargain ticket to Sydney, Australia – only to end up in Sidney, Montana. (Spelling counts.)

Your journey could also be of a more abstract nature. I once thought I was attending a memorial service for the end of the Second World War in Germany. I wondered why attendance was so sparse. As the speaker began to praise the heroic accomplishments of the Soviet Union (with a little help from the Anti-Hitler Coalition), it dawned on me why we were standing on the little Bonn redoubt overlooking the Rhine and not in front of some major monument in Bad Godesberg. I had landed at the communist ceremony. It was highly interesting.

Do you personally tend to see the world as Edward Thomas did, always worried about what you'd missed? Or is your outlook more like Robert Frost's, appreciating the accidents as much as what you'd planned for? Let us know: tell us your stories.

Create Challenge Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

26.06.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88031685

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more