Archaeologisches Freilichtmuseum Schwarzenbach

1 Conversation

Archäologisches Freilichtmuseum Schwarzenbach

We visited a very small open-air museum on a hill on which was once a large and rich Celtic town (from about 200 AD). But there are traces of settlements since the Stone Age. It's just a few houses and they seem to be mainly built by archeology students during their courses. They also get to do some digging there. Apart from the houses there's also a tiny museum in a container and the whole place is accessed via a turnstile in which you put some small change.


The museum is up on the hill with the lookout tower.


The houses are made in different building techniques but mostly from wood. Some with posts, some as log houses. One building is made from 'woven' branches which were then covered with clay (origin of the German word Wand (=wall) - from winden).


There still is a rather deep ditch in the forest around the former settlement and they re-built a tiny piece of the wall. Of course at that time the place was completely deforested.


From up on the hill there is a great view towards the last mountains of the alps as well to the direction of Hungary. I guess nobody could approach that place without being noticed.
View of the open-air museum.Houses at the open-air museum.
Houses at the open-air museum.Houses at the open-air museum.
Houses at the open-air museum.Houses at the open-air museum.
Houses at the open-air museum.Houses at the open-air museum.
Houses at the open-air museum.Houses at the open-air museum.
View from the open-air museum.View from the open-air museum.
Create Challenge Archive

Tavaron

14.08.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88034790

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more