Where in the World? Dagestan

1 Conversation

Where in the World? Dagestan

Dagestan on the Caspian Sea.
Map adapted from Wikipedia
under CC 4.0 licence.
(Label added to show
Caspian Sea.)

This is to help you out with the news. Recently there was talk of a place called Dagestan. Apart from guessing that it 'must be somewhere in Central Asia,' you were probably at a loss unless you happened to live in the neighbourhood. Just where in Central Asia? Behold! A map!

'Dag' is the only Turkish word I know. 'Dag' means mountain: Musa Dagh, Babadag, etc. '-stan' indicates a country. So a country in the mountains, but which mountains? Aha, the Caucasus! Dagestan is on the west coast of the Caspian Sea. There's a city called Makhachkala with about a half-million people in it and an airport that made unfortunate news headlines recently.

Dagestan has about 30 different ethnic groups among its 3 million people. That probably adds up to a lot of arguing. It's part of the Russian Federation, which might explain a few things. Also, it's an oil-rich region.

The country has 405 km of coastline, about 1800 rivers, and not a lot of rain. Its highest peak is 4,470 meters. It borders Chechnya and Azerbaijan.

There are a lot of different languages in Dagestan. If you're planning to be a tourist, take a good Russian dictionary. And send us some pictures.

Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

DG

13.11.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88039533

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more