Lives of the Gheorghenis - Chapter 12: Where Is Wisdom?

1 Conversation

Chapter 12: Where Is Wisdom?

Demetrius regarding an Aesculapian snake warily, because it might be a relative.

When Radu came out to the garden for an al fresco breakfast, he found Demetrius reading in the morning light. No surprise there.

Demetrius read aloud:

Whence then is wisdom found? and of what kind is the place of understanding?

It has escaped the notice of every man, and has been hidden from the birds of the sky.

Destruction and Death said, We have heard the report of it1.

'True, that,' remarked Radu, buttering a roll. 'Has the author found any?'

Demetrius read on, '. . . to abstain from evil is understanding.'

'Fair enough,' said Radu, reaching for the honey. 'That's why it's in short supply in Rome these days.'

It was at this point that Demetrius looked up and saw the snake.

It was a pretty snake, and fairly large, about six feet in length. It moved in a graceful serpentine glide down a branch of the fig tree. Demetrius put down his scroll and stood up to get eye-to-eye with the newcomer. He regarded it warily.

'That's an Aesculapian snake,' remarked Radu. 'Totally harmless, unless you're a rat.'

'Is it?' said Demetrius, and then, to the snake, 'Hello, there. Anything we can do for you?'

The snake looked back, unblinking, innocent. There was a pregnant pause.

'It's not a relative, Demetri. Leave it alone.'

Demetrius was still skeptical, but didn't say anything because Ermione came out with fresh watermelon slices from the kitchen. 'Aunt Cleo says eat these, and may the goddess Pomona smile on you.'

'Thanks to you, Aunt Cleo, and the goddess,' said Demetrius solemnly. Radu didn't say anything, being too busy scarfing watermelon.

Ermione spied the snake. She clapped her hands in delight. 'Wonderful! A snake! The house is blessed!' She ran to tell her mother and aunt.

Radu laughed. 'See? Not everybody is suspicious of Cousin Snake.'

'As long as it doesn't swallow its tail, I guess it can stay,' said Demetrius. This was a good guess, as Cleo soon appeared with a dish of milk and egg, which she set at the foot of the tree. She and Ermione watched with satisfaction as the reptile graciously accepted the offering.

'Why do you want a pet snake?' asked Radu.

Cleo looked surprised. 'They kill vermin, domine. And they warn of earthquakes.'

'She's got you there,' commented Demetrius. 'House snakes are handy. If that fellow heads out toward the middle of the road? Follow him. And beware of falling masonry.'

The snake ate the milk-and-egg mixture with evident enjoyment and slithered under a corner of the house, no doubt for a nap.

'That's it, Fido,' said Radu approvingly. 'Make yourself at home.'

Demetrius raised an eyebrow. 'Fido? That's a name for a dog.'

Ermione laughed. 'I get it! It's a φιδι!' Radu looked pleased that somebody had understood his joke.

'Puns! Worse: bilingual puns! Aargh!' Demetrius threw a roll at Radu – who laughed and caught it.

_____________
Demetrius studying a letter with a pigeon on his shoulder.
Demetrius to Alexandros, greetings, blah, blah.


I am writing this in English because I suspect there are spies in Dalmatia. Since English hasn't been invented yet, lots of luck, you spies.


I am also sending this by the most reliable method: carrier pigeon. Perry here is a good friend. Treat him well.

We can't come right now because I have human dependents. Also, we are very busy trying to sort out the meaning of things, which is a lot easier to do here in civilisation than over there among the barbarians. Also, the food is better.

Question: Have you seen these yet? The new emperor is adding letters to the alphabet.

Claudian letters.


TTFN,

Demetrius

There, that ought to hold you for awhile.

Demetrius folded the letter, which was on very thin papyrus, and put it into a little metal tube. This he fastened to the leg of his friend Perry the pigeon.

'There. Take this to Alex for me, will you? It's not that far as the pigeon flies.' He walked to the window with the pigeon on his shoulder. He gestured for it to fly away.

The pigeon fixed Demetrius with a quizzical look. He cooed in a way that could only be interpreted as interrogative.

Demetrius gave a start and struck his forehead. 'Oh, of course! How silly of me! How are you going to find Alex? Where is my head today? Sorry!'

Perry the pigeon ready to carry a message.

Demetrius rummaged in a pocket and came up with a small gold band that looked like a ring – in fact, it had a ruby inset. He grinned as he clipped it around the pigeon's other foot.

'Now, don't you look elegant? This, my friend, is your Gheorgheni detector. Like you, we are keyed into this planet's magnetic field. And, like you, we utilize quantum entanglement. I couldn't explain it to Pliny, and we don't need to know how it works – just that it does. So off you go. I hope all this isn't too uncomfortable,' and, stroking the spot over the pigeon's beak gently, he boosted it into the air.

It flew away, toward the sea, just as Ermione stuck her head into the room to tell him the exciting news: a theatre troupe was in town, and they were doing summer stock.

Post 2024 Writing Project Archive

DG

15.04.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Job 28, Septuagint.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A88047903

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more