The Discworld Directory: CAPTAIN CARROT

0 Conversations

Captain Carrot of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is the only person in the city that is automatically likable, or trust-worthy for that matter.

He is also simple in the fact that he believes that everyone is good and decent on the inside (and people can't resist not trying to go against him), meaning he has to be severely pushed to react in any violent way.

By technicality, Carrot is a dwarf, as he was found as a toddler next to his dead parents by a dwarf couple.
Really a human (growing to 6'6" was a clue), he was sent by his parents to join the Night Watch who took the saying that 'the Watch will make a man out of you' literally (as dwarves do).

Carrot is immensly abled in his occupation, and is a natural leader with a deep love for Ankh-Morpork, yet only seems to hold professional admiration for his superior, Commander Sam Vimes who has helped guide him in the ways of Morporkian life and not to take the laws and directives of the watch so exact, while he saves his love for Sergeant Angua.

Carrot started out in the position of Lance-constable in his debut in 'Guards! Guards!', but in 'Men At Arms' (the Watch series follow up) when it appeared that then Captain Vimes was about to retire, Carrot was the obvious choice for promotion by the Patrician. Carrot, however, only took the postion after he convinced Lord Vetinari (the Patrician), to give the bored-of-retirement Vimes the position of Commander.

The character of Carrot must rub off onto people, as readers really cannot not like him, and is now fully intergrated as a main character in the Watch series meaning it wouldn't be the same if his presence wasn't there no matter how small...


PROFILE

-NAME: (Captain) Carrot Ironfoundersson

-RESIDENCE: Ankh-Morpork

-FIRST APPEARANCE: Guards! Guards! (1989) Book VIII

-AFFILIATES: Commander Vimes, Sergeant Colon, Sergeant Angua, Sergeant Detritus, Corporal Nobbs

-OTHER: He doesn't, have very, good punctuation, in his letters home, putting commas, where they aren't needed.
He carries a crown-shaped birthmark on top of his left shoulder, a sword, and a ring that isn't dis-similar to the one recorded as having once been part of Ankh's royal jewellery, suggesting he is rightful heir to the throne of the long gone Kings of Ankh, though he doesn't, or want to, act upon it.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A906446

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more