Rainbows End

2 Conversations

Folklore has it that at the end of every rainbow sits an imp1, hammering on a single shoe, who can, with persistence and guile, be forced to reveal to his discoverer the whereabouts of a crock of gold.

This is in fact no more than the truth.

Illusion?

According to Kermit the Frog rainbows are 'just an illusion'2, but there is a lot more to a rainbow than there is to, say, a ghost.

For one thing rainbows are equally visible to all, available for photography, and rationally discussable in a way that many 'subjective' experiences are not. For three things, that is.

Furthermore, it is no explanation-away to say that a rainbow is (merely) the effect of sunlight on water vapour; the same can be said of the appearance of clouds, but no-one calls clouds illusory3.

Rainbows have an observable shape: circular (normally seen as an arc of a circle, or of two concentric circles). They also have a rationally discoverable shape in three dimensions; and this is where the insight begins.

There is an end to every rainbow

What is the rainbow? It is the sun4 you are seeing, reflected by myriad tiny water droplets. The droplets that contribute to the rainbow are those positioned at a critical angle relative to the sun and the viewer. The circular shape you see is not derived from the shape of the sun; rather it is the shape of the mirror. But it's not a two-dimensional circle. The shape of the reflecting droplet-group cannot be two-dimensional, like this page you are reading (or that screen it's on); it has some depth. The depth is not apparent because you are looking 'along its barrel'; working it out on paper shows that the rainbow's shape in three dimensions is:—conical. Part of a cone.

A cone is an open-ended shape with a single point. Mathematically a cone is complemented by its reverse cone, opening out from the same point to a second open end (circular, infinitely distant). The second cone makes no difference to the present discussion and can be retained in your mental image, or discarded, as you wish.

The Point

Where is the cone's point, when we are looking at a rainbow? Well, it would appear to be inside the eyeball, where the projected rainbow image is focussed for communication through the optic nerve into the brain. But this is where the insight really begins: what if we are looking at it with two eyes? Has the rainbow got two ends? or are we seeing two different rainbows?

Stiff-necked scientists may wish to leave the rest of us here and enter the 'two rainbows' lobby. Resist any temptation to join them, as such a decision is damningly short-sighted. If we really see two rainbows, we equally really see two of everything. It is true that two images are formed in normal two-eyed vision; but 'seeing double' is a pathological state, not the normal case. Another level to 'seeing' must be admitted, beyond eyeball-projection5.

Consciousness

In normal vision, the diverse images from left and right eyes are combined by the brain into the single image of which we become conscious6.

It is in our consciousness that every rainbow we see comes to a single and perfect end.

It is also in consciousness that all the values in the universe are situated.

For such boundless riches 'a crock of gold' is a poor enough metaphor.

1Leath-brógán (one-shoed) in Irish, whence "leprechaun" (the th is silent; say 'la-bro-gawn').2'The Rainbow Connection' (Song in The Muppet Movie).3Cloud illusions may indeed be what you recall, Joni; but still, there is real cloud, and there is equally real stuff out there whenever a rainbow appears.4Or another light source.5Much ink has been spilt over the centuries in argument over what is truly seen: a thing or an image? and similarly, what is truly perceived: a thing or an idea? Let us side with common usage and claim with sufficient confidence that we do see things. The upshot of admitting otherwise would be: we know nothing at all and never will.6Normally the combined image thus assembled, or revealed, is an improvement on the single image avaiable from one eye alone, since it gives us a three-dimensional picture. Curiously, perhaps uniquely, this 3-D revelation is withheld in the case of rainbows. Could this be the reason rainbows are popularly relegated to 'illusion' status? They hide their true shape, which only persistence and guile can force them to reveal?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A908147

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more