Waukegan, Illinois, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Waukegan, Illinois, USA

0 Conversations

Waukegan is a small city with a population of around 90,000 (Census, 2000) and can be found on the shores of Lake Michigan. Located midway between the cities of Chicago, Illinois and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it is the seat of Lake County, Illinois. Though it is an economically depressed, post-industrial town there is much to be said of its pretty scenery and friendly inhabitants.

History

Founded as a French trading post in 1675, after French explorers Louis Jolliet and Jacques Marquette encamped there in 1673 on their journey to find the Mississippi River, the town was originally called 'Little Fort'. In March 1849 it was renamed Waukegan - the Native American Potawatomi word for house. Waukegan thrived, supporting industries such as ship and wagon building, flour-milling, sheep-raising, pork-packing and dairy farming. The Chicago North Western Railway reached the town in 1855 and the following growth saw Waukegan incorporated as a city on 23 February, 1859.

The most successful of the early Waukegan industries however was the brewing of malt liquor and by the late 1860s William Begley's Waukegan Brewing Company sold his produce throughout the United States. Waukegan harbour was also one of the busiest on the Great Lakes, with nearly a thousand ships sailing per year. In the latter part of the century the US Sugar Refinery, Washburn and Moen Wire Mill, US Starch Works and Thomas Brass and Iron Works all developed in and around Waukegan.

During the 20th Century, the city was largely a residential community, but industry still remained with companies such as Abbott Laboratories, Fansteel, Anchor Glass, Baxter International and National Gypsum providing labour. However, in the early 1970s the city fell on hard times and while the Lakehurst Mall was constructed in 1971 to try and bring trade into the area, competition from nearby Gurnee Mills forced its closure in 2001 and the city has yet to fully recover.

Things to do in Waukegan

  • Try fishing or sailing on nearby Lake Michigan.
  • Admire the abandoned edifices of pre-1950s American architecture in the 'north historic district' or along Sheridan Road, which includes houses in Victorian, Prairie School, Greek revival and Italianate styles. The area was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
  • Visit Shimer College (very friendly with occasional theatre and interesting lectures)
  • The Six Flags Great America Theme Park is just 15 minutes drive away in neighbouring Gurnee.

Hungry?

Waukegan has a very large Mexican-American population, so it is a great place to find Mexican food - popular restaurants include El Pollo Rico or the Ranchito Michoacano. Decent Italian food can also be found in the very quiet and often nearly deserted downtown, like the well-priced Jimano's Pizzaria. All the usual fast food chains have infested Waukegan, but with such a multi-cultural mix in the city, you can try anything from German fare through to Caribbean grub. Some of the best local food on offer though has to be at Aunt Obie's.

What Else?

Waukegan has a newspaper, a radio station (that very few people admit to listening to) and a public access television station, which seems to do nothing more than replay City Council meetings. For the 'culture vultures', the city has the Genesee Theatre and several museums worth a browse - in particular the Waukegan Historical Society.

Famous Citizens

Waukegan has been home to some notable figures in American history. It was considered the hometown of comedian Jack Benny (1894 - 1974). Despite his being born in Chicago, a Waukegan middle school is named after Benny and a statue of him stands downtown too. Ray Bradbury, whose great-grandfather was mayor of the city in 1882, also calls Waukegan home - he was born in the city on 22 August, 1920. Waukegan is immortalised as 'Green Town' in several of Bradbury's fictional works and Ray Bradbury Park, named in the author's honour, includes the bridge over the ravine featured in his novel Dandelion Wine. Another science fiction writer, Kim Stanley Robinson, known for his Mars Trilogy novels, was also born in Waukegan in 1952. Waukegan is also the birthplace of Johnny Blaze, motorcycle stuntman, who went on to become Ghost Rider in the Marvel comic book series of the same name.

Getting There

Waukegan is near Highway-41 just west of Lake Michigan and also features the Amstutz Expressway, locally known as the 'highway to nowhere'. This otherwise unremarkable motorway has been the setting for scenes in movies such as the Blues Brothers, Groundhog Day, The Ice Harvest and Batman Begins. Bus services run from Chicago and within the city and rail transport is available into Chicago and its suburbs. Waukegan Regional Airport serves the city; however, both Chicago's O'Hare Airport and Milwaukee's Gen'l Mitchell Field are roughly 30 minutes drive away by car (these are nearly inaccessable by train with several confusing transfers necessary). There is also a small harbour and marina, but these are now used mostly for recreational purposes. The McClory Recreational Trail passes near the city too, for those who choose to visit on foot or by bicycle.

Further Information

For a comprehensive listing of things to see, places to eat and general information about the city, visit the offical website Waukegan at the Top of Illinois.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A9565635

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more