Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, USA

1 Conversation

Located in Clinton County, at the very center of the state, the city of Lock Haven is only classifiable as a city because is the largest "town" in the county and houses the county court house.

Left in sheer distress after Piper, maker of the famous Piper Cub, personnal prop airplane, and major employer of the county, left for better locations. Now after the leaving of Hammer Mill, International Paper, the only major emploment facilities are Woolritch Cloths and Lock Haven University, the college with the largest population of lesbians in the country, it's true--check Opra.

Even so, as a town, Lock Haven is a decent place to live. Lock Haven Unniversity is an international establishment and a key school for people seeking education as teachers and liberal arts and sciences degrees.

Shoping: If you want to purchase something two places stand out, the Walmart Super Center in nearby Mill Hall, Pennsylvania, and main street Lock Haven, dotted with small establishments from D. Dashem Books, the only book store within an hour's drive, KC Net, AOL had no presence in Lock Haven until 2002(it was a long distance number), and a number of private mark down stores. Any other place in the area is likely one of about eight local dollar stores.

Food: In Lock Haven you never find anything approaching a bistro, if you want good food you are left either going to Fox's Historical Family Restuarant, great food but long delays and higher than average prices, or one of two local Original Italian Pizzas, one on Main Street, one out of town in Mill Hall. Other places to eat include a standard array of fast food restuarants and The Texas, a hearty walk-in diner located on Main Street, if you want eggs, beacon, and wofting cigarette smoke, this is a good place to go.

Bars and Taverns: Never in short supply, between The Locker Room, Quark's Tavern, and all the others. However I'm not of drnking age and cannot report on service.

Other then wallowing in unemployment the city has a total of five major places of activity, three of which are seasonal.

The first seasonal activity is the Annual Regada held by the Lock Haven Jacyees, again only because the Lock Haven is the largest local set of docks on the Susquehanna River. Great rides and games take over Water Street for about three days in the depths of summer.

Next is the annual Fly In at Piper Memorial Airport, this lasts about a week. Not as fun as the Regada because it is mostly where pilots rub shoulders, camp by the runway, only one exists, and promote orginizations that most of the city can't afford to join. This is held during late summer.

The last seasonal event is the Saint Agnus Fair, held during the spring, a bunch of volunteers gather outside the church and sell funnel cake. Along with the cheesy games, Bingo, and rumage sale, this is a completely diappointing event.

The non-seasonal activities are held at one of two places, the YMCA, no need to elaberate, and at Project Coffee House, a local youth and college run project, obviously, that is dedicated to giving the teens of Lock Haven something to do other then wallow in their last problem, the drug abuse rates of a major city.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A967980

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more