The Truth about Philmont

1 Conversation

tin-opener, tin can, compass
Philmont is a great place where scouts and scouters learn about themselves and how to better survive in the wild. It is the largest youth camp in the world at a massive 135,000 acres, half of which is mountainous. It is located in the north east corner of New Mexico. Most of the land is actually used as a working ranch in the summer. The nearest town is Cimmaron. The population of the summer staff of Philmont is always greater than the population there.
The trails are long and usually strenuous. The camp does provide you with a guide for the first two trail days. Yes, they don't do much but they are not supposed to. They are there to make sure that you don't die later on the trail. In the ranch there are many staffed camps. The camps are there to provide the campers with program. This ranges from Western Lore to Homesteading. The property is divided into three sections, North, South, and Central.
The food that they give you is always subpar, but it is to be expected. Would you want to carry food that weighs as much as you do. The Pemmican bar is actually no longer in any of the meals either. It has been replaced by what is called a Meal Pack. This is actually the same thing but it is flavored, coconut almond is the only kind that they have right now. The meals mainly consist of high carb foods. This is to give campers the energy to hike in the heat and high altitude. The treks at the camp are not as hard as the author of the other Philmont entry to the guide.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A978546

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more