Cosmopolitan Club, Napier, NZ Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Cosmopolitan Club, Napier, NZ

0 Conversations

Situated in Napier, New Zealand, on the picturesque Marine Parade, the three-storied Cosmopolitan Club enjoys spectacular views over the Pacific Ocean. Basking in Mediterranean-like weather, the club can be found one short block south of the excellent shopping and central business districts1. These areas of the city feature many examples of Napier's world-famous Art Deco architecture. Close to a varied range of accommodation, from hostels favoured by Backpackers to four-star-plus hotels, the Cosmopolitan Club also provides a courtesy coach for easy pick-up and delivery back to motels and hotels located further away.

Originally a working man's club, the Cosmopolitan Club opened its doors to women members in 1989 and the first woman was elected to the club's management committee in 1991. The management committee - at the time of writing five women and five men - as part of their duties, oversee the various club sub-sections. Over the years these sub-sections of the club have hosted several North Island and New Zealand sports tournaments and are scheduled to host others in the near future.

The club's operating charter2 was granted by the New Zealand government in December 1881. Over many years the club has contributed much to the city of Napier and is justifiably proud of the part it has played in making Napier a pleasant place to live. The membership has grown from 260 in 1877, when membership cost one shilling (10 cents) a month, or for those who could afford it, a £10 ($20) donation brought life membership. Current membership is over 1500, of whom a quite large percentage are women. Membership fees are currently $25 per year.

Although the club has continued to grow, it has not allowed standards to slip. It expects high standards from employees, members and guests. For this reason the club encourages its employees to take part in the training unit standards laid down by the HSI (Hospitality Standards Institute). In the words of general manager Neil Thomson:

We are continually looking for new ideas which will benefit employees, members and guests. We encourage people to pass on their thoughts about their 'Cossie Club' experience.

If a suggestion results in a financial saving to the club, people are often rewarded in a tangible way.

Two bars are available to relax in - the Sportsman's Bar and the Lounge Bar. Upstairs is a function/entertainment centre. Available for hire, the Napier Frivolity Minstrels and Hawke's Bay Jazz Club utilise this area for their productions. Conferences and weddings are also hosted in this part of the club. It has seating for up to 500 theatre-style. On the top floor is an excellent restaurant with brilliant views over the ocean.

A full range of beers, local and imported wine3 and spirits are available for purchase throughout the premises. Being a non-profit organisation, beverage prices tend to be quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere. The club owns shares in the local Mate's boutique brewery. This connection ensures the delightful Mate's brews are also easy on the pocket.

The Cosmopolitan Club offers an abundance of interesting activities for the enjoyment of members, their guests and visitors. They include:

  • Eighteen state-of-the-art poker machines.

  • Eight full-size snooker tables. Three smaller pool tables.

  • Ten dartboards.

  • Full TAB4 service including six TV monitors featuring all the live racing action.

  • Satellite TV beams live pictures of all major sporting events onto the Sports Bar's large TV screen.

  • Sub sections of the club include, darts, snooker, (men, women and over 60s) pool, bowls (indoor and outdoor), golf, social tours, 60 Plus.

  • Housie (bingo) sessions are a feature on Wednesday nights.

  • Dance bands play at least once a week in the lounge bar. Budding singers are catered for with karaoke sessions on Sunday afternoons.

  • Visiting singers and top-rated bands appear regularly in the entertainment centre.

  • The club operates a courtesy coach. You can be picked up or taken home (or to/from your hotel or motel) for the small fee of $2.

  • A wholesale liquor store is on the premises.

Contact Details

You can find the Cosmopolitan Club on Marine Parade, Napier, NZ.

1Standing outside the main entrance of the Central Post Office, on the corner of Dickens and Hastings Streets, cross the road and turn right. The club is 100 metres away on your left.2There are 321 Chartered Clubs in New Zealand. Due to their charters they are not treated as public places in the manner other licensed premises are.3Napier is at the centre of New Zealand's premium wine district. The local Hawke's Bay wines are not just world-class, they are up there with the best.4TAB is a New Zealand Government-owned horse/sport betting organisation.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A493544

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more