This film has become as much a part of Christmas in the UK as the Queen's Speech, turkey or presents under the tree. What is its secret?
Question: When is a Railway Bridge Like a Canopener? Answer: When it's low enough to remove the lids of box trucks.
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni
We've all been disappointed from time to time. We've all expected something to be better than it actually was, whether it was believing that your burger would be as good as the picture on the menu board, or perhaps saving up for a vacation only to find the hotel was dreadful!
This month we invite you to share your experiences of great expectations and/or massive let-downs.
December 2019 Create Challenge: Great Expectations and Massive Let-Downs
Newest Edited Entries
- 'Love Actually' - the Film9th December 2019
- The Unending Appetite of the Canopener Bridge: A Trucker Tale9th December 2019
- UK Christmas Singles of the 1980s10th December 2019
- 'The Elf on the Shelf' - the Marketing Phenomenon2nd December 2019
- 'Only Connect' - the Television Quiz Show2nd December 2019
- UK Christmas Singles of the 1970s6th December 2019
- Favourite Festive Films25th November 2019
- Stand By Me: The Journey Started with Some Sheet Music25th November 2019
- The Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport, Hampshire, UK18th November 2019
- The Trial of Anne Royall: Courageous Journalist or 'Common Scold'?18th November 2019
- A619463 - Gnomon: Trees in the JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth 5 Hours Ago
- A87941361 - The Amicus Edgar Rice Burroughs Film Trilogy 7 Hours Ago
- A87954556 - Hooton Park Aerodrome, Cheshire, UK 15 Hours Ago
- A87945745 - The Etches Collection Museum of Jurassic Marine Life, Dorset, UK 15 Hours Ago
- A87906360 - 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' - the Film 15 Hours Ago
What's the weather like where you are? Hot, cold, wet, turbulent? What are you doing? We're not just asking. We really want to know. We want pics! We also want stories. And jokes. Videos. Whatever you've got. You see, we're really, really interested in your take on your corner of Planet Earth. We don't want your data: we want your observations. With that in mind, here's what we've found this week.
Posted to: Congratulations!
From: Career Curiosities - Episode 38 - Interview Incidents
13 Minutes Ago
Posted to: Silent migraines and dietary effects
From: A Pain in the Neck (Part 3)
15 Minutes Ago
Posted to: Superb Artwork
From: Bluebottle's Doodles: Tale of Two Places
24 Minutes Ago
Posted to: Comments: Play Bow
From: Play Bow
27 Minutes Ago
Posted to: Comments: Lights
28 Minutes Ago
Posted to: Comments: Fence and Sea
From: Fence and Sea
32 Minutes Ago
Posted to: Comments: Townscape
33 Minutes Ago
From: Video: Winter Winds Blow
37 Minutes Ago
"A collaborative guide, one that was written and kept up to date by the people who used it, in real time, might be a neat idea. I just didn't really realise that such a thing might be possible in my lifetime or how powerful such a thing might be."
A place to share knowledge and celebrate the things you love by writing about them
We have the first snowflake. Now let's build a blizzard
h2g2 founder Douglas Adams
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."