The Edge

0 Conversations

The Official Edge graphic by Wotchit

Part Three

The Universe is a big place. I mean not semi-big or just plain large, I mean BIG. Think about it. It's everything. Everything that ever existed ever. Or is it?

Present Day (Sunday)

The Universe spun on its axis1 while the world woke up to a loved one, a hangover and the fact that they would have to go down the chemist to buy some aspirin.

Wickrain was one of those people, although unfortunately he didn’t wake up to a loved one. Not that he didn’t want to, it’s just that he was extremely unlucky with women - he had absolutely no idea why. Maybe it was his aftershave. As he got up out of bed, he glanced around his study, which was what he pathetically called his flat, to check that everything was where it was supposed to be, and that nobody had broken in during the night and stolen his collection of pickled testicles from around the world.

No they hadn’t, the dried up coffee mug and the old pizzas were still there, both with mould growing on top of them. He had no idea where they had come from, he only drank tea and he hated Italian food. It seemed to him that it was a universal rule that any bachelor living anywhere in the known universe will always have a dried up coffee mug and a mouldy pizza in their flat. He was right in fact, it was a Universal rule, discovered in 1965 by Doctor Gransfith2. And in the corner of the room, hanging from several pieces of string, were his prized testicles in glass jars.

He walked over to his wardrobe in the centre of the room, swore several times as he hit his foot on various objects on the floor that he had left there carelessly, put on his blue T-shirt and red tracksuit bottoms, then combed his ginger hair over to one side using the small hairbrush that he later found out he had used for a toothbrush the previous night and walked out of his study, refreshed after a good night’s sleep, happy in the knowledge that when he got to work no woman would spill vodka down his shirt, like that lady last night did after he asked her to do up his shoelaces.

He returned to his study ten minutes later after he realized bits of toothpaste were caught in his hair. He washed his hair in the sink, thanked God for the mirror in the hallway on the third floor and walked out of his flat for the second time in fifteen minutes.

As he closed the door and locked it so as to protect the prize testicles the camera that had been viewing these events from a bird’s eye view in Wickrain’s room closed its lens and retracted back into the ceiling.

The Edge Archive

Oberon2001

27.03.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1It is a well-known fact that the Universe spins round a sun the size of a galaxy. This was discovered by the great tribal liar and Chairperson of the Save the Trees, Buy Wooden Furniture Association, Dr. Alison Omedik.2The doctor might’ve been interested to know that on the planet of Refat, in absence of pizza and coffee, it was dried up frogs and a mouldy wall.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1008343

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more