An Introduction to The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

0 Conversations

You've heard of the Urban Spaceman and danced the Monster Mash, now meet the people who were behind some of the craziest shenanigans of the 60s - the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band...

Named after George Studdy's famous 1920s/30s postcard puppy Bonzo Dog and the Dada anti-art movement, The Bonzo Dog Dada Band was formed circa 1962-1965 by Vivian Stanshall and Rodney Slater, flatmates and students of London's Royal Art College. Dada was soon changed to Doo Dah, and the band soon started on a highly successful pub and club circuit in London and northeast England.

Drawing from the comedy and novelty songs of 1900-1930, their wearing 1920s clothing, eccentric music hall tradition and their antics and comic sketches led to comparisons with The Temperance Seven, Spike Jones and His City Slickers and Sid Millward's Nitwits. As Neil Innes famously remarked, "We're not doing a Temperance Seven, we're murdering them."


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1018900

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more