An African Adventure - Anyone For Dennis Part 1

0 Conversations

This is the first time that the Knolly Estate has allowed the great man's memoirs to be published. What follows is the thirtieth chapter of 'The African Adventure'.

Anyone for Dennis Part 1

The rider didn't stop. He urged his horse through the crowd — who moved quickly out of the way — and onto the court, dismounting only when he had spotted Rhodes. He handed over a telegram and stood to attention, waiting for a reply.

'What's your name, son?' asked Jameson as Rhodes stepped away and read the message.

'Trooper Dennis Rose, sir,' replied the rider.

'Good man, Rose,' replied Jameson as he slipped a coin into the rider's jacket. 'Thank you for your effort. Just wait here, please.'

Rhodes and Jameson were briefly huddled together over the 'gram.

'How now? What's all this then, another delaying tactic?' called Bertie over the net.

'Hush, Bertie, and observe,' I cautioned.

The crowd edged forward in collective curiosity.

Rhodes looked up, waved the piece of paper in the air and exclaimed, 'The match is postponed! It would appear that my colleague and I are needed in Kimberley as soon as possible. Mrs Devries, please accept my apologies for such a sudden departure, but we must pack and be off. May we borrow transport?'

Elspeth was as astonished at the proceedings as we were but soon pulled herself together.

'Of course, Cecil. Please take what you need. Come! Let us walk to the house. Knolly, Bertie, please excuse us. The match will have to be postponed, it seems.' She looked around the milling crowd (whence came a few calls of 'boo!' and 'fiddle!') and espied Monty. 'Captain Montague! Please escort this trooper to the barracks and see that he and his fine animal are both fed and watered. They have had a hard ride.'

It was if someone had turned a dial. Elspeth had gone from all smiles and fun to prim and proper in the blink of an eye. What a woman!

Bertie and I sat down in a quiet spot in the shade away from the throng. He seemed nonplussed.

'Well! All I can say is 'pooh'! Just when we were winning! I feel that I need to complain... but I'm not sure whom to! Knolly what do you think?'

'Sorry, I was looking for da Silva.'

'The silver what?'

'Not "the silver" anything, you ninny, da Silva. The man you know as Tulari is really a Portugese agent called da Silva. And what is more — he has a gun!'

'A gufffffff?'

Dear reader, 'gufffffff' is the correct pronounciation of the word 'gun' when a person has a hand placed swiftly over the mouth by a second party in that second party's attempt to silence the first party. My hand swiftly placed put paid to Bertie's outburst.

'A gun?' he whispered. 'Why? Or more to the point... why?'

'It would appear that every European nation with the tiniest foothold in Africa seems to be aware of Rhodes' grand scheme and wants to stop him. Da Silva was all set to assassinate Rhodes on the court for no particular reason... and you know who would be blamed for his death, don't you?'

Bertie thought about this for a short while. He then answered proudly, 'Oh! A trick question, eh? Well... stands to reason. Tulari and Portugal would be blamed, wouldn't they?'

'No, no, no! You, dear Bertie, would be blamed!'

'Me!!' he squeaked, 'Why on earth would that be so?'

I rolled my eyes to the heavens. Surely he had not forgotten his very public altercation with Rhodes at the dinner?

'Sprouts, Bertie. Think sprouts!'

Bertie thought about this one for a short while. The penny dropped.

'Oh, I see! Well, good job we didn't pick him as the umpire then!'

'Oh, yes! And Croton was such a good choice, wasn't he? Come on! I want to catch Rhodes before he departs. We must find out what was in that telegram that caused his hasty departure from the game.'

'But Knolly, you saw him stuff it in his blazer pocket as soon as he read it.'

'Yes, and I'm sure it won't stay there. His body language spoke volumes, almost as if he was expecting something. However, I am convinced that the content was not what he expected. So: here is what we ought to do. Bertie, you need to find the rider who brought the message and learn what you can about the location of the issuing cable office.'

Bertie nodded. 'Very well, Knolly. I will root out the routes and roads that Rhodes' rider Rose rode.'

He giggled. Wonderful! Here we were at a potential flashpoint, and all Bertie could think about was practising alliteration.

'Thank you, Bertie. Shall we proceed? In any case, we will next need to get in contact with London to let them know what we have discovered to date — although I have a suspicion they already know. Hell's teeth! How much would you wager that we come across a Belgian next?'

'Or even a Frog!'

I grinned at this. 'Look! There's Monty and the messenger fella. Off you go!'

Bertie nodded. 'Well, fine. But what are you going to do, Knolly?'

'Me? Well, I think it's high time that I spoke to Elspeth about why we are really here.'

'Do you think that's wise?'

'No, but time is running out, I fear. We need to know how much support she is going to give Rhodes once she's aware of the information the Countess passed on. And don't forget the ace up my sleeve.'

'Knolly, after what you've just told me, is it really time for table-top magic?'

I glared at him.

'Ah, yes! Her medication! Sorry.'

With that in mind we both went our separate ways — Bertie over to the stable block and I in search of Elspeth. I did not have to look too far; she was standing by the main entrance, directing servants this way and that, hither and thither in an effort to load Rhodes' and Jamesons' luggage quickly on to a waiting carriage. As I approached, the diabolical duo
appeared in the doorway. They were by now changed out of their tennis attire and ready for the long drive back to Kimberley. Rhodes took Elspeth's hand.

'Madam, it has been a pleasure as always, but affairs of state call.'

'All play and no work, eh Rhodes?' I interjected. 'Must have been an important message?'

'Indeed, Knolly, but it will not take too much of my time to sort out. I do hope that we can continue our match as soon as Dr Jim and I find ourselves able to return to Mrs Devries' hospitality.'

'Bertie and I look forward to continuing and — seeing how well it was going — perhaps you would agree to an additional wager on the side?'

'Ah, Knolly, you know that I only bet with gold and diamonds and, with the greatest respect, I do not think you would be able to compete.'

I nodded sagely at this. 'Yes, you are right and obviously out of my league. I bid you Godspeed, then.'

Rhodes laughed heartily. 'Good man! We will continue the match on our return.'

Dr Jim pushed passed me chuckling to himself. He stopped in his stride and looked at Elspeth.

'Don't forget to take your medication, my dear. You know you must continue the course — it's the only cure.' Then he took her hand and kissed it. 'Au revoir.'

Elspeth started to blush a deep scarlet. I clenched my fists so tight that my nails bit into the palms of my hands.

'Goodbye, Jameson, until next time,' I said through gritted teeth.

'Knolly, I've told you before — my friends call me Dr Jim.'

'Quite. Goodbye, then.'

Elspeth and I waited and watched the carriage disappear up the drive and out onto the dusty veldt. A troop of cavalry cantered out of the stable yard; Stumpy was at the head and pulled up to salute his Colonel-in-Chief.

'Shame about the game, eh? Nix wants us to carry out some exercises. No idea what the exercises are or why he's chosen now. Monty will be leading out another troop in a couple of hours. Quartermaster's got your uniforms all ready, so see you in a day or so.' With that, he cantered off after his men.

'Well, that's rather odd,' said Elspeth thoughtfully. 'No one has informed me of any new troop exercises. I think I shall go and root out Colonel Nix straightaway, without delay, forthwith, immediately and with certain haste.'

As she hitched up her skirts and made to stride purposefully over to the regimental HQ, I grabbed her by the wrist, pulling her up short.

'Knolly! Did you not hear? I am in the most dreadful hurry!'

I held onto her wrist with one hand and with the other gently turned her face toward mine. I looked directly into her eyes and spoke quietly.

'Mrs Devries... Elspeth. We need to talk.'

'But my dear Knolly, we talk all the time!'

I continued to look into her eyes and did not reply. She looked at me with her head tilted to one side.

'Something is troubling you. What is it?'

'It pains me to tell you, Elspeth, that since our arrival here we have not been 100 percent truthful with you. Neither Bertie nor I have been at ease with our subterfuge, but I had hoped to tell you everything in the fullness of time. Events have overtaken me somewhat and I need to... no... I must let you in on the real reason that Bertie and I turned up when we did.'

'Don't be uncomfortable, Knolly,' she replied in an understanding and reassuring tone. 'We all have secrets. Are you sure you wish to take me into your confidence when we have known each other for such a short while?'

'I'm a tormented soul, Elspeth! On the one hand, it would be best for your safety that you know nothing; but on the other hand, you are an intelligent woman and have the right to know.'

'Ooh, be careful Knolly! There are some men and women who believe that too much knowledge will make a woman's head explode!'

I smiled at her jibe. 'Yes, I have heard that said, usually by men who are scared of the fairer sex and by women who forever see their place as that of a simpering ninny with a head full of nothing but air. You and I fit into neither of these
categories.'

'Although we have both said goodbye to a prime example of one such man.' she said as she looked at me with a knowing twinkle in her eye. 'Come, Knolly! Let us retire to a place where we can be certain that no one else can overhear us.'

'Indeed,' I replied. 'Even the bushes have ears and eyes.' I nearly added guns to that list.

'So cryptic! What do you mean, Knolly?' asked Elspeth playfully.

'Later, my dear, later,' I replied as I cautiously scanned the greenery for any hidden da Silvas.

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

23.03.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A10239473

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more