The Science of Discworld

1 Conversation

Up in the confines of Unseen University, in the city of Ankh-Morpork, next to the Circle Sea, upon a world that lies on the backs of four giant elephants that in turn stand upon a giant star turtle... a thaumatic experiment in the squash courts goes wrong.

The wizards have accidently created a universe inside their omniscope.
However there is one part of that universe that intrigues them.

They've found a small green and blue ball that has started to create life... Thus the wizards name it: Roundworld.

This book is a combination of our known science and a mini-discworld story put together by Mr. Pratchett and doctors Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen...

What the book does is present a chapter of discworld, where the wizards watch the events of this strange planet, followed by a factual, but comedic, scientific stance upon where the wizards are coming from and why OUR doesn't make all that lot of sense!

They confront the big bang, Darwinism, and the rise and fall of the dinosaurs plus more all in one big chunk of the Earth's short history (be it a few hundred million years).

What the books shows is that are world doesn't make a lot of sense but it surely will help us understand it a lot more and realise that we're not really that big a species..!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1062730

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more