New Hampshire, USA

4 Conversations

"The Granite State"

The state of New Hampshire can be found on any map of the United States in the New England region. It is bordered on the North and Northwest by Quebec, Canada; to the South by Massachusetts; Vermont is to the West; and Maine and the Atlantic Ocean comprise the Eastern boundry.

The settlement of New Hampshire was unique in that it wasn't settled by people who were being presecuted in England but, instead, by a small group of people who had been granted a land grant in 1623 to establish a fishing colony. Captain John Mason sent David Thomson, Edward and Thomas Hilton, along with several others, who began fishing operations in the service of the crown.

The states capital is Concord but it's largest city is Manchester. It is ranked 46th of all the states in area and is comprised of a total of 9,359 square miles. The highest point in the state is Mount Washington, rising to 6,288 feet. New Hampshire officially bacme a state on June 21, 1788 and was the 9th state admitted to the Union.

New Hapmshire History

New Hampshire was first explored between 1600-1605 and was officially settled in 1623. The first settlement was made at the mouth of the Piscataqua River and was called Little Harbor. A few years later, the second settlement, Dover, was established. Over the next few years, expidetions were sent and other villages established, however, each town was independant of the others and provided no stable governments.

It was finally agreed in 1639 that the towns should unite and agreements were made. The territory, at that time, was claimed by Massachusetts and each town was given permission to send a representative to Boston for representation in the General Court leaving the settlements to manage their own affaris. New Hampshire remained a territory of Massachusetts until 1679, when the king chose to separate them. They were rejoined in 1686 and again separated in 1691. This final separation resulted in a stable government with the president and council appointed by the Crown and the assembly elected by the people. The English settlers were joined in 1719 by a colony of Scotch-Irish immigrants who founded the town of Londonderry, New Hampshire.

It was one of the original 13 colonies and participated in the revolt against the British in the American Revolution. Even though it was the first state to actually declare independence, the only battle fought there was a raid at Portsmouth Harbor in Fort William and Mary, December 14, 1774. This raid was preceeded by the now famous ride of Mr. Paul Revere on December 13, 1774. This raid is now recognized as the first battle of the Revolutionary War.

Since 1952, New Hampshire has been the center of the presidential primary. This is the first major testing ground for new candidates who wish to run for presidential nominations.

New Hampshire Unique Features

New Hampshire has the shortest coastline of all the U.S. coastal states with only 18 miles of shoreline. It's most famous icon, a rock formation in the shape of a facial profile, known as the 'Old Man of the Mountain' fell to the ravages of time in May of 2003. It is also home to the location that claims the dubious title of "worst weather on earth," Mount Washington. The upper regions of Mt. Washington suffer from hurricane-force winds about every three days and there have been over 100 reported deaths of visitors. A weather observatory now resides on the peak to record and observe the harsh conditions.

In the Southwest corner of the state can be found another natural tourist attraction. Mount Monadnock has given it's name to geomorphology. A monadnock meaning 'any isolated resistant peak from a less resistant eroded plain.'

Scattered around the state there are 1300 lakes or ponds and 40,000 miles of river and streams. These aquatic features provide numerous locations for the fishing that gave the state it's start.

You will also find a part of the Appalachain National Scenic Trail and the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site as features of this state.

New Hampshire Counties

  • Coos
  • Grafton
  • Carroll
  • Belknap
  • Sullivan
  • Merrimack
  • Strafford
  • Rockingham
  • Hillsborough
  • Cheshire

New Hampshire Trivia

  • New Hampshire has an official tartan, registered in Scotland, that the State Police wear as kilts when performing ceremonial duties.
  • The license plates hearld the motto, "Live free of die."
  • Tied with Minnesota, it is the healthiest state in the country. (as of 2003)
  • Three U.S. Navy ships have been named for the state.
  • Killington, Vermont has twice voted to leave the state of Vermont and become a part of New Hampshire.

New Hampshire Firsts

  • In 1822, Dublin's Juvenile Library was the first free public library.
  • in 1908, Monsignor Pierre Hevey opened the nation's first credit union in Manchester.
  • Alan B. Shepard Jr., a native of Derry, became the first American in space on May 5, 1961.
  • New Hampshire approved the first legal state lottery in 1963.

New Hampshire Web Sites


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A12623267

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more