D.C./Marvel

3 Conversations

They are the behemoths of the industry. They are Hollyfield and Tyson, Duracell and Energizer, The USA and the Soviet Union. They are DC Comics and Marvel. The competition between them is legendary, which is odd because such a competition doesn’t really exist. Despite the ravings of a few, most comic book fans are loyal to specific heroes rather than the companies that own them, and pick and chose among any publisher that intrigues them. The two companies have often collaborated on projects, sharing their best talent and crossing things over as they please. Cheerful jokes, like the Amalgam comics, the “If Stan Lee Wrote DC Comics” and the revelation that Mr. Mxyzptlk and the Impossible Man are the same person show the casual atmosphere between D.C. and Marvel. But the two companies have their differences.

First some history. D.C. is by far the older of the publishers. D.C. stands for “Detective Comics” and is what most people think of when they envision comics. Detective Comics is the series that first brought us Batman and Wonder Woman. Superman was acquired from Action Comics and together they make the three most famous super-heroes in the world. They also own such characters as Green Lantern, Plastic Man and Aquaman (score yourself 5 bonus points for not sniggering when he was mentioned)

Anything and everything that Marvel is today should be attributed to Stan Lee. He created it’s most enduring characters, best titles and the overall style it holds onto today. He spent most of his early career created failed rip-offs of DC guys and, when it seemed the company was going under, was finally given a chance to do things his way. He created “The Fantastic Four”, giving them an attitude hitherto unseen in comics and scored a hit. Marvel also includes Spiderman, Hulk, Daredevil and the X-Men.

The main difference is in the style. DC is evolutionary, constantly changing with the times to remain current and fresh. Marvel is Revolutionary, occasionally stirring things up and doing something totally new then riding it to its end and lapsing into silence until the nest big thing. DC is a huge celebrity like the Beatles or Metallica that will always be in the spotlight and Marvel is like and endless stream of “15 minutes of fame” that becomes even bigger than the real stars for a time then drops back into obscurity but always has a new trick up its sleeve. DC is a straight line that is always there and Marvel is more like a sine wave, going up in quality (and even surpassing DC) but then dropping back down as it waits for its style to get old so it can develop a new one.

Both companies are hugely popular, often among the same people (comics readers tend to like variety) but success varies. Although I consider both companies to be equal Marvel has fallen on some hard times and filed for bankruptcy in 1994. Despite the recent craze for Marvel Movies (Spidey, Hulk, Daredevil) the company is still lagging in sales. It is thought that DC may eventually acquire its counterpart but keep it as a separate division, a bit like AOL and Time warner. But that remains to be seen.

The difference in their comics shows why they have been popular at different times. Frankly, DC is about people and Marvel is about situations. The reason DC has endured through so many changing periods is that the characters are human and we can
relate to them. Over the years we have grown to know them so well that we can immediately tell what Superman or Batman will do in any given situation. Marvel characters tend to be more taciturn and keep their cards closer to their chests. The characters have had their motivations and back stories altered many times, but the idea of the character remains. But these ideas are so intriguing that we don’t mind at all. Spider-man comics from the 60s and from the 70s often seem to be about two different heroes but the idea of a webslinging superdude is so cool that we like it anyway.

All superheroes have weaknesses and this is another difference. DC characters usually have emotional or psychological problems to deal with. Batman has angst over the death of his parents, Superman is hurt by the problems of a dual identity and Martian Manhunter feels guilty over the loss of his planet. Marvel characters often feel the threat coming from society rather than their own personal troubles. People openly reject Spiderman for his vigilantism and hate the mutants of the X-men for being so different. This leads to some great political stories, but they seem almost out of date today. Racism is still a big problem, but not like it was 30 years ago and today we can’t really envision hating somebody for being a mutant. In the comics, when Iceman admitted he was a mutant to his parents it was clearly a racial issue. But when it happens in the second X-men movie it plays more as a coming out scene, to latch onto a modern taboo (and even that one is mainly accepted these days as we rapidly become a more tolerant people).

Incidentally, the societal rejection and grimness may be one contributing factor to Batman being the most popular hero in the world. He bridges the gap between the humanity of the DC pantheon and the darkness and gloom of the marvel world. He too is criticized for his actions and cant exist publicly, unlike Superman, who is well liked, and Wonderwoman who often doesn’t even have a secret identity.

Marvel is also more likely to give a scientific explanation for its heroes while DC is often more mystical or bizarre. For instance, Marvel has any number of radioactive persons while DC will simply talk about magic, or being from another planet. For a while this put Marvel on top, but now radiation is seen more realistically and almost seems silly.

Despite their many difference both DC and Marvel have entertained us for decades and will continue to do so for years to come. Whichever you prefer, you have to admit that greatness runs throughout every page of the two greats of the comic industry.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1299305

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more