Right Handedness Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Right Handedness

2 Conversations

Right-handedness is the tendency to use the right hand for everyday activities such as writing. It is very common, with about nine out of every ten people being right-handed. Many people write with their right hand, including left-handers who have been forced to use their right hand.

Unlike left-handers, there has been no cultural pressure for right-handers to use their 'wrong' hand for activities such as writing and eating. Right-handedness is usually considered good and normal, hence the expression of someone's 'right-hand man.' There are many similar, although negative, expressions using the left hand.

The word 'right' has positive connotations, which 'left' does not. In English, 'right' also means correct, and 'a right' is something that you are entitled to. In French droit also means something you are entitled to, as well as right1. The word 'dextrous' comes from the Latin word dexter meaning right. The roots of 'left' are as sinister as the roots of 'right' are positive.

Most right-handers are left brain hemisphere-dominant. It is thought that a few hook-wristed2 right-handers are right-hemisphere dominant, but nobody knows for sure whether this is true or not.

Most equipment nowadays is designed for right-handers, and is comfortable for the right-hander to use. The traditional European way of holding a knife and fork, with the fork in the left and the knife in the right, is more comfortable for right-handers. English (and most other European writing) goes from left to right, so right-handers can usually write without having smudging as a problem3.

Most right-handers will be taught how to form letters by other right-handers, making it easy for them to see which way the letters go. Left-handers often have trouble and end up forming letters backwards.

Probably one advantage left-handers have over right-handers is the attention they receive. No-one makes a fuss over a right-hander, as right-handedness is common and ordinary.

1The opposite of left.2Hook-wristed people write with their wrist hooked around over what they write. They are normally left-handers, who write that way to avoid smudging.3Unless they write messily with inky pens.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A1311030

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more