The Bookworm Club Review

2 Conversations

Bookworms by Amy the Ant

All reviews are written by members of The H2G2
Bookworm's Club
. We hope this review is helpful, and that we'll see you airing
your views at the Club soon.

The Trial by Franz Kafka

Reviewed by The Kawk

If you are prone to commit suicide, or are an overly pessimistic person, this book may be best avoided - smiley - skull definately not for those with weak hearts.

But for the rest, Oh My God, what a book it is!

It is set in pre-war Germany, mid 1920s. The protagonist, Joseph K - who could also be seen as the antagonist - is in constant internal conflict with himself. He is arrested one morning by the government, without any reasons. He spends the rest of the novel trying to find out why in heaven's name he's been arrested. He roams around a set of labyrinthine corridors in the law offices. They're actually run-down, stuffy brick buildings. Meanwhile, lots of women fall for him and offer to help him with his case1.

Throughout the novel, Joseph is under the real or imagined delusion that the Assistant Manager at the bank where he works is out to usurp him and grab his job, and there are several indications of that. He is also unhappy with the way his case is proceeding, and sacks his lawyer.

Eventually, he meets a priest who narrates to him a parable about a man who tries to obtain access to the law, but is prevented from doing so by the doorkeeper. So, the man keeps waiting there for the rest of his life and finally, as he is dying, the doorkeeper shuts the door, saying that nobody else wanted access to the law because the door was intended specifically for the man.

Eventually, at the end of the novel, Joseph is grabbed from his apartment and marched through the city and then executed. More accurately, he is expected to take the knife and kill himself, and is only executed when it is clear that he's not gonna oblige.

Okay, thats about it. Pretty confusing, I know, but I'd say that this book is a must-read for anyone even remotely interested in books. (apart from those with weak hearts etc etc.

Try thinking of the whole book as one big metaphor referring to life and society.

The Bookworm Club Review
Archive

09.10.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1An interesting note here - except for Joseph himself, the whole world seems to know about the case, and generally offer help, services and whatnot.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1323785

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more