What is between Mars and Jupiter in our Solar System?

0 Conversations

Welcome to the
H2G2 Astronomy Society
Questions and Answers
Charting the uncharted backwaters of the Universe
smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - earthsmiley - moonsmiley - marssmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - crescentmoon

h2g2as Front PageThe main site page with all the latest breaking news and chat.
Welcome MessageIf your new to this site then click here to find out all you need to know about the h2g2as.
h2g2as Q and AFind the answers to many space related questions.
Astronomy LinksFind all the best astronomy links as well as links to local societies.
Messier MarathonJoin in the Societies 2004 Messier Marathon.
The Night SkyThe University Observatory will tell you what to see this April.
Members PageMeet the many researchers who have joined the h2g2as and join yourself.
Previous ArticlesContained here are some of the previous news headlines from the front page.
Discussion GroupThis links to the h2g2as Yahoo discussion group.

H2G2 Astronomical society.

Question and Answers.

smiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - star

What is between Mars and Jupiter in our Solar System?

Mars in the fourth planets in our Solar System and is 141,640,000 miles (227,940,000 kilometers) from the Sun. The fifth planet in the Solar System at a distance of 483,650,000 miles (778,340,000 kilometers) is Jupiter the largest planet in the Solar System.

Mars has two moons called Phobos and Deimos and are 14,600 and 5,800 miles (23,500 and 9,350 kilometers) from Mars respectively. These moons are tiny. Phobos is 14 miles (22.5 kilometers) in diameter and tiny Deimos is only 7.8 miles (12.5 kilometers) in diameter. These two moons are irregular in shape and it is believed that they came from the asteroid belt.

Lying between Mars and Jupiter is a vast belt of asteroids. They could be the remnants of a planet that exploded millions of years ago but the most common theory is that they are what was left behind when the Solar System formed.

The six largest asteroids are called Vesta, Pallas, Ceres, Hygeia, Juno and Euphrosyne. Vesta takes 3.6 years of orbit the Sun. Pallas and Ceres take 4.6 years to orbit the Sun and Hygeia and Euphrosyne take 5.6 years. Juno takes 4.4 years to orbit the Sun.

Vesta is 219,000,000 miles (353,000,000 kilometers) from the Sun. It is 219 miles (352 kilometers) in diameter and was discovered in 1807.

Pallas is 257,000,000 miles (414,000,000 kilometers) from the Sun, 377 miles (607 kilometers) in diameter and was discovered in 1802 by the same person who discovered Vesta, Olbers.

The largest asteroid at 617 miles (993 kilometers) in diameter is Ceres. Ceres was discovered in 1801 by G. Piazzi and is also 257,000,000 miles (414,000,000 kilometers) from the Sun.

Hygeia was discovered in 1849 by de Gasparis and is 280 miles (450 kilometers) in diameter. It is found at 293,000,000 miles (471,000,000 kilometers) from the Sun.

Juno was discovered in 1804 by Harding. It is 120 miles (190 kilometers) in diameter and is 248,000,000 miles (399,000,000 kilometers) from the Sun.

Lastly there is Euphrosyne that is 230 miles (370 kilometers) is diameter and is 294,000,000 miles (473,000,000 kilometers) from the Sun. Euphrosyne was discovered in 1854 by J. Ferguson.

smiley - rocketsmiley - starsmiley - earthsmiley - crescentmoonsmiley - marssmiley - smileysmiley - planetsmiley - rocket

I have made several batches of questions. This question is from the second batch. To find other batches of questions plus the newest one return to the main h2g2 as Q and A page using the first link below. Other questions in this batch are also below.

h2g2as Q and AFind the answers to many space related questions.
What is between Mars and Jupiter in our Solar System?The large belt of asteroid that sperates the terrestiral planets from the gas giants.
How far away is the sun?The distance to our star. How far its light and heat has to travel.
How long does it take the Moon to Orbit the Earth?Our nearest neighbour's orbit defines our months.
How often does Halley’s Comet pay us a visit?The most famous comet and the only comet not to be named after the discoverer.
Which planets have a ring-system?The Lord of the Rings.
What is the giant red spot on
Jupiter?
The spot light is on Jupiter.

Contact

If you would like to contact me please use this link:
Richard Derek Young.

smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - earthsmiley - moonsmiley - marssmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - crescentmoon


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A13922930

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more