Issac Newton - He Wasn't even Fond of Apples Anyway.

0 Conversations

Issac Newton (1642-1727) English Mathematician and Natural Philosopher (physicist). Considered by many to be the greatest Scientist of all time.


The people who consider this, however, largely overlook the works of another and more recent Scientist; one who has done more for the promotion of his science than any other individual in living history. But for the purposes of making this entry seem more interesting than it actually is, his identity shall remain anonymous until the last moment.


Issac Newton completely failed to impress the rest of the world with his rather obvious Laws of Gravity, which he happened upon by chance when he was bunking off a lecture one afternoon by relaxing under a rather pleasant apple tree. Whilst he was doing this, an apple decided to fall onto his head, which in turn lead to his realisation of the Laws of Gravitation.


Many people have since specualted that if he had been sitting under a banana tree, not only would he had not been in England at all, but the act of him having to shin up and pick a banana, would have afforded him significantly less respect in Scientific circles.


He also was responsible for the coining of the phrase :

"What goes up, must come down"






which is only true on 40% of the time.



The only interesting point regarding this phrase, is how it was re-quoted by a prostitute in Cheapside, London, where she stated the complete opposite was in fact true.




(The actual greatest Scientist was in fact Johnny Ball, the lively children's television presenter)



See also: Gravity, and, Yo-Yos

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A143713

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more