'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte

5 Conversations

Unfortunately, while the...

... poor girl meets rich boy... they get engaged... he has a mad wife... she runs away... she comes back... his wife dies in a fire she started that he got maimed in... they get married and lived happily ever after.

... the plot appealed to most of us, the themes and ideas behind it soon got tiresome. Therefore, the rest of this entry is an expression of some sentiments that you may feel at the end of two years' study.

  • I care not for your moralistic, elfin, flaccid and sickening protagonist; she has no depth and her apparent modesty and temperance make me feel ill.

  • If this homely girl wants to get it on with her old, craggy, fat, pretentious boss then why doesn't she? What can Wifey do? She's locked in the bloody attic anyway.

  • How come Wifey keeps getting out and running mad around the house? What's the deal with that? Get some better locks.

  • Send that precocious spoilt little witch of a child, Adele, to boarding school, where she belongs and people can force her to speak English... If she can learn; she is pretty bloody stupid, as she seems to think she is still in France.

  • Is there a more sinister note, Miss Bronte? Or are you just showing off? Just because you can use French in your book, doesn't make you big or clever you bigoted, pretentious weirdo!

And what of the practically senile old freak Mrs Fairfax?

  • Why hasn't the boring old woman got any mates? Even Rochester has got mates!

  • I think this is a bit far fetched. Rochester has to be a bit strange to want a little girl to live with him and fall in love with pompous old Jane.

  • Who would want to be mates with a guy like that? No-one! Yet he's got loads of friends. Okay, maybe they are after his money. But Blanche... are you that desperate baby?

  • I like Blanche, she's the only character with any character: a bit of a bitch and she knows what she wants.

  • Why should she be nice to the freaky, elfin, governess girl?

  • Charlotte Bronte had the sense to kill Helen Burns off; but at least she was extremist - you've got to respect that - not a pompous freak like Jane.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A158627

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more