Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World

0 Conversations

The Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World logo

A quirky look at wildlife. To be taken with a pinch of salt, but with more than a grain of truth!

Watch the Birdie(s)!

Goodness, is is that time already? Nearly halfway through January so soon! I must get my kit prepared for the big weekend, or it will be upon me before I am ready. Have you got your kit? For this special weekend you will need a cup of coffee, some biscuits, a pair of binoculars, a pen, a record sheet and preferably a garden. Oh, and an hour in which you need to do nothing else. Difficult? Well it can be, but when all the chores you should be doing come crowding into your brain, just remember William Henry Davies' poem:

What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs

And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,

Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,

Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

And then:

A poor life this if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

This special weekend event comes round every year at the end of January and just about anyone in the UK can take part. Put it in your diary now: Big Garden Birdwatch 2007 on Saturday and Sunday 27-28 January, 2007. 2007 will be the 28th anniversary of that very first BGBw, way back in 1979. Our favourite children's TV show Blue Peter was instrumental in promoting the first event, which brought in 34,000 records. Adults were eventually allowed to join in the fun in 2001! Then in 2006, 470,000 people took part, so you see you won't be on your own!

Originally the recording was paper-based, but can now be done on the RSPB website too, where heaps of information is available. I am told that the techies among you can now download a series of podcasts from the website at www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch, so that's another reason to get involved.

You can pick any hour of the day on either the Saturday or Sunday, make yourself comfy and record the highest number of each species of bird you see at one time, to avoid counting the same birds twice. They are little terrors for trying to confuse you so they can get to the top of the RSPB list, so beware!

The best times are early in the morning and early- to mid-afternoon, when the birds are hungriest, but that will depend on where you are in the UK. At this time of year, they tend to feed nearly all day, so you should get a good selection. If you do not already feed the birds, then read on for a few tips on how to attract them and give yourself a treat in to the bargain. In doing this you will help the RSPB to monitor bird populations over many years. Sadly, it has recorded a fall in the number of some of our favourite birds, house sparrow numbers dropping by 52% and starlings by 72% over the recording period.

Teachers can involve schools in the Big Schools' Birdwatch too, so if you do not have a garden, perhaps your children could do it there. Last year 36,000 children took part in this way, which I have to say is pretty impressive, with all the pressures schools are under these days.

For those with no access to online information (friends perhaps, or grandparents), a paper survey form and information can be obtained by ringing 0870 600 7108.

You can obtain information on, and pictures of, the birds you might see from the RSPB website, but failing that you have time to get a book from the library or borrow one from a friend. You can ask them to join in, too — the more the merrier. Please don't feel excluded if you don't have a garden, as you can just as well do your survey in the local park, but children should be accompanied by an adult and you need to be fairly quiet!

When completed, you can send your results via the website any time from that weekend until 19 February, 2007. Don't all rush at once, as we wouldn't want the website to crash, would we? It has been known! You can of course post your form to the RSPB.

Now, just a few ideas to make the party go with a swing. Your table and feeder(s) need to fairly close to a window, preferably one where you can sit down. I have to stand at all my windows, which is a pain! It is a good idea to provide a birdbath if you don't have one. In spite of the cold, it is not unusual to see birds bathing to keep their feathers in trim. Any dish will do, even an old casserole lid. Nothing too deep, though.

Peanuts, seeds, bacon fat and kitchen scraps, bread and raisins will attract all sorts of birds, so start thinking ahead. It is surprising what you can accumulate without too much effort. Grated left-over dry mild cheese is a great favourite with many birds. Stale cake and biscuit crumbs go down well, too. I wonder if that is why the RSPB picked just after Christmas for this survey, when we have all eaten far too much but don't want to waste what is left?

Remember to contain your excitement if you see something unusual — a lot of squeals and arm-waving could frighten off the very source of your delight. This is one time of the year when bad weather can be quite welcome, as the birds flock to gardens for quick food, so don't be put off.

So once again, that magical weekend is Saturday and Sunday, 27-28 January 2007. Do join me. Oh, and one last thought: take the phone off the hook or put it on answering machine. It is very likely that this is precisely the moment the aunt from Australia will decide to call you for a long cosy chat! Switch the mobile off too, or that crazy frog or whatever tune you choose will be sure to get you.

Right, everyone, sit still, watch the birdie, and do smile — you're on candid camera!

Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World Archive

Websailor

11.01.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A18771456

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more