An African Adventure - Epilogue

0 Conversations

This is the first time that the Knolly Estate has allowed the great man's memoirs to be published. What follows is the fiftieth (and last) section of 'An African Adventure'.

Dear reader, the events recorded in Knolly's journals for 1895 seem to end just after they boarded the American submersible; on closer inspection, it seems that several pages had been torn out in a rather rough manner, and so we must turn to a few loose-leafed sheets that we have found dated January 1896 to bring closure to this particular adventure.

There is no record of Knolly and Bertie's journey from the mid-ocean rendezvous to the Americas. However, research into US Navy archives indicates (with only little doubt) that the submersible in question was the USS Flounder, an experimental Lake-class vessel, whose rendezvous mission was guised as a sea-trial.

The commander of the Flounder, Lieutenant Horatio Dexter, recorded in his log that 'two gentlemen castaways (of English extraction) were rescued in open waters and were granted safe passage to the nearest non-hostile landing'. In itself, this is not at all conclusive as to the identity of the men who were 'rescued'. However, subsequent log entries provide additional clues:

'The castaways were reprimanded on more than one occasion for bellicose renditions of the repetitive ditty "Jolly Red Nose", execution of strange dances during crew manoeuvres, and continued enquiries as to the whereabouts of the port decanter,' and 'Chief Electrician Mundy and Gunner's Mate Allbright were rendered unconscious due to asphyxiation, caused by inhalation of the noxious gas released by the castaways. The implicated parties were therefore confined to the fore-bulkhead for the remainder of the voyage so as to diminish the effects of their prolific output.'

(Note that — second only to fire — flatulence in a confined space is the submariner's nightmare.)

Given the above log entries, we believe that it is reasonable to assume that Knolly and Bertie were indeed the rescued parties.

smiley - biro

New Year in Washington was not normally very exciting — but things were certainly busy this time round. His Excellency Julian Pauncefote (the First Baron Pauncefote, no less) made us more than welcome, and what fun we had attending various functions! Those Venezuelans certainly know how to throw a party.

Despite being at sea for Christmas, Bertie made up for lost time with many a Senorita, and he also had the local scientific community to keep him out of mischief. The future certainly seemed to have arrived on this side of the Atlantic, with the proviso that it must be powered by steam.

We had been introduced to Samuel Pierpont Langley within days of our arrival and Bertie and he had got on like a house on fire. Given that Langley launched his steam powered ærodromes from atop a houseboat moored on the Potomac, it was only a matter of time before houses on fire became a reality.

'Oh, lord!' said Bertie when we first pulled up on the riverside. 'Is this the future? I thought that airships were the beginning of the end?'

It is strangely odd how such off-the-cuff remarks come back to haunt one.

So, it was during our stay here that we learned of what had transpired after we left South Africa. Jameson launched his raid into the Transvaal during the New Year weekend and was given a bloody nose by President Kruger's men, who — as we know — had been waiting for a good couple of months.

We did not get any invites to the German Embassy during our stay and we discovered why as the month wore on. On the 2nd of January, Jameson had surrendered to the Boers, the leaders of the revolt we had likewise imprisoned. Anglo-German relations became somewhat strained and Bertie found out that the cause of this was down to a telegram that was supposedly sent by the Kaiser, congratulating Kruger and his republic for facing up to such aggression 'without appealing to the help of friendly powers'.

'Well, I think we know who penned that, don't we?' said Bertie after reading this to me.

I had to agree that it tasted strongly of Kronenburg. We began to wonder where this would all lead to in the new century that was almost upon us.

'Rhodes has somehow managed to come out fairly unscathed and he seems to have crawled off to lick his wounds.'

'I wonder what Conan Doyle will make of this one?' mused Bertie.

'I don't think we'll tell him. You know what he's like when there are other doctors involved, and this adventure had too many grey areas for his liking.'

Bertie changed the subject. 'Do you think that Elspeth got your messages, Knolly?'

'I do hope so. The fact that there is no mention of the DeVries Light Horse or any of our old comrades in any newspaper articles we have read to date can only be a good sign.'

'Do you think she'll leave South Africa now that this has all happened?'

'Bertie, I have indeed asked that same question, but until we get back to Hoot Hall, we shall not have an answer.'

'How much longer do you think we'll have to stay here in Washington?' asked Bertie, with a hint of longing in his voice.

'Bertie! I thought you were enjoying yourself? You have your standing invite to the Naval Yard courtesy of John Holland... and then there's Langley and his flying machines. You can't tell me that you haven't enjoyed the test flights and the late nights and dreaming of manned flight.'

'Well... well, yes, but its getting a bit much, you know. Why, only the other evening I was accosted by some madman with a self-tipping hat. Damn near scared the life out of Katarina.'

I grinned at the mental picture that had sprung to mind. 'Ah! That would have been Mr James Boyle, I assume?'

'Knolly?'

'Oh, the chap came knocking. He was looking for you and I knew you were out for a stroll with Senorita Montes de Oca Soraya, so I give him a description of you both and off he went.'

Bertie narrowed his eyes. 'You don't like her, do you?'

I was rather taken aback by this. 'Have I ever said as much?'

'Knolly, you don't need to say anything! You just have that look of disapproval,' (he pulled a face) 'that you use when you think I'm wasting my time.'

I let this remark pass, for it was too close to the truth. Instead, I flourished a telegram. 'Never mind! Some good news! It would seem, my dear friend, that things have calmed down enough for us to be allowed back home!'

Bertie snatched the paper from my hand. 'More likely that we are needed urgently for something else and that everyone else is pointing the finger at someone else.'

'Bertie! So cynical,' I replied in mock-reprimand. 'I have no idea where you get it from.'

'Um... Knolly, I think you've given me the wrong telegram. This one seems to be from... let me see... Ha! Elspeth!'

'What! Oh, yes... um, here's the one I meant to give you. Now just give that back, why don't you?'

'So we have more than one reason to set sail for Blighty right now!'

'Indeed, yes. Our work here is done. A commission is being set up to tidy the boundary dispute, and I believe that President Cleveland has already named his members.'

'So once again, war has been averted! I'll drink to that!'

'I think you'll find that's two wars this time. And yes — I'll drink to that, too.'

smiley - biro

Apart from a few odd sketches (which, due to their nature, cannot be reproduced here) our heroes' adventure comes to an end. We have since uncovered a further volume of Knolly journals, and so we can be certain that our heroes made it home.

But, oh! How their world is changing! And the question must be asked... are the Great Knolly and Bertie up to the challenge?

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

08.03.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A20481671

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more