50 States Lyrics Quiz

1 Conversation

Yankee Doodle.

As a contribution to the anniversary issue... possibly the most eviiiillllll lyrics quiz ever!

There are 50 lyrics from songs. All of them have a connection to a US state. It may be that the song is about a state or a place in the state or the artist is well known from having come from the state, etc. There are 50 questions and 50 states, so one lyric per state. So I'm looking for the name of the state, although the song title and artist are welcome. Please leave your answers in this conversation

  1. 'Well, I've wandered around the town and the city, Tried to figure the how and the why'

  2. 'I find it very, very easy to be true, I find myself alone when each day is through'

  3. 'I swear I'm gonna live forever, Tell my maker he can wait, I'm riding somewhere south of heaven'

  4. 'Please see for me if her hair hangs long, If it rolls and flows all down her breast.'

  5. 'But if you could heal a broken heart, Wouldn't time be out to charm you'

  6. 'And I swear, That I don't have a gun, no I don't have a gun'

  7. 'In the winter of '65, We were hungry, just barely alive.'

  8. 'From my front porch you can see the sea, I got some oceanfront property'

  9. 'But while there's music and moonlight, And love and romance'

  10. 'You know what they say, No one south of Heaven's, Gonna treat you finer'

  11. 'Come here mama.... and dig this crazy scene, He's not too fancy.... but his line is pretty clean'

  12. 'Now, I been lookin' for a job, but it's hard to find, Down here it's just winners and losers and don't, get caught on the wrong side of that line'

  13. 'Well, my first friend went down when I was seventeen years old, Well, there's one thing I could say about that boy, "You gotta go."'

  14. 'Tis summer, the darkies are gay'

  15. 'And I caressed her, kissed her, Told her I'd die before I would let her out of my arms'

  16. 'I broke a thousand hearts, before I met you, I'll break a thousand more baby, before I am through'

  17. 'Hooker on the corner, Waitin' for a train, Drunk lyin' on the sidewalk Sleepin' in the rain'

  18. 'You better not tell what you see, And if you're good, I'll give you candy and a quarter'

  19. 'Hoverin' by my suitcase, tryin' to find a warm place to spend the night'

  20. 'So your heart starts pumpin and you think of a lie, and you say that you already ate, and your friend says man there's plenty of food, so you pile some more on your plate'

  21. 'A part of me might travel with you, In a freebie bucket seat for one'

  22. 'God, in His great love and wisdom, Made the rugged Granite State'

  23. 'Well the magnolia blossoms fill the air, You ain't been to heaven till you been down there'

  24. '...and it keeps me going through the wind and rain'

  25. '...woman with her diamond ring, Pulls that man around by her, If it wasn't for her and her, That man I love would have gone nowhere, nowhere'

  26. 'Well, show me the way, To the next little girl, Oh, don't ask why, Oh, don't ask why'

  27. 'As I chase that evening sun towards my home'

  28. 'Mum and dad, live upstairs, and the music's loud, just that we don't care'

  29. 'Backwater done rose at Sumner, drove poor Charley down the line, Lord, I'll tell the world the water, done crept through this town, Lord, the whole round country'

  30. 'And when I get that lonesome feelin', And I'm miles away from home, I hear the voice of the mystic mountains, Callin' me back home'

  31. 'Last thing I remember, I was running for the door, I had to find the passage back to the place I was before'

  32. 'Walking around pants by my knees, gonna make it with who I please'

  33. 'Just to raise me up a crop of dental floss Raisin' it up, Waxin' it down'

  34. 'Underground like a wild potato. Don't go on the patio.'

  35. 'And if it snows that stretch down south, won't ever stand the strain'

  36. 'smiley - bleep I don't care, what your daddy do, Cuz you know smiley - bleep, girl, I'm in love with you'

  37. 'Next day we knew last night got drunk, But we loved enough for the both of us'

  38. 'But if we are wise, We know that there's always tomorrow'

  39. 'Cause everyone that goes, Comes back with nothing but raves'

  40. 'You are so graceful, have you wings? You have a face full of nice things; You have no speaking voice, dear'

  41. 'We are vain and we are blind, I hate people when they're not polite'

  42. 'I smoke old stogies I have found, Short, but not too big around'

  43. '... guys out hunting and girls doing likewise, honking at the honey in front of you with the light eyes'

  44. 'I spent the best part of my losing streak, In an Army Jeep'

  45. 'It started on 12th & Clairmount that morning'

  46. 'So if we ever part then I'll leave you'

  47. 'Never stop and they never die, They just keep on pumpin' on their motorbikes'

  48. 'Bicycle rider, see see what you, To the church of the American Indian'

  49. 'Help me, information, more than that I cannot add, Only that I miss her and all the fun we had'

  50. 'Pennies in a stream, Falling leaves a sycamore'

Competitions and Quizzes Archive

The_Jon_m

08.03.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A20511811

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more