Famous Film Quotes Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Famous Film Quotes

38 Conversations

Famous film quotes - you know the sort of thing - the throw-away remark or the off-the-cuff line that goes down in history and enters the public conciousness. The sort of line that was probably never intended to become famous, but somehow caught the imagination and now everyone knows it, but maybe doesn't know where it's from or who said it.

  • 'Here's looking at you kid' - Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.

  • 'Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine' - Bogie again in Casablanca again.

  • 'Play it once Sam, for old times sake' (not 'Play it again Sam') - Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca.

  • 'Why you crazy? The fall will probably kill you' - Butch Cassidy to the Sundance kid in the film of the same name just before jumping into a ravine.

  • 'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off' - Michael Caine in The Italian Job.

  • 'I honestly think you ought to calm down, take a stress pill and think things over' - HAL 9000 computer to Dave Bowman (in 2001 again) after locking him out of the Discovery spacecraft.

  • 'Fasten your seat belt, it's going to be a bumpy ride' - Bette Davis in All About Eve.

  • 'You know how to whistle don't you? Just put your lips together and blow' - Lauren Bacall in To Have and To Have Not.

  • 'Come up and see me sometime' - Mae West.

  • 'The name's Bond, James Bond' - Sean Connery as James Bond.

  • 'Made it Ma, top of the world' - James Cagney in White Heat.

  • 'We'll make him an offer he can't refuse' - Marlon Brando as the Godfather.

  • 'It's been emotional' - Vinnie Jones in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

  • 'You're going to need a bigger boat' - Chief Brodie in Jaws.

  • 'Mother's not feeling very well at the moment' - Norman Bates in Psycho...

  • ...who also said 'A boys best friend is his mother'.

  • 'You gotta ask yourself one question - 'Do I feel lucky...' Well, do ya punk...' - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callaghan in Dirty Harry.

  • 'I gotta know' - Punk to Dirty Harry. (Click)

  • 'A berhm, what berhm?' - Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in The Pink Panther.

  • 'Use the force Luke' - Obi Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker in Star Wars.

  • 'The force will be with you, always' - Obi Wan again. Actually old Obi had quite a bit to say... 'Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him'.

  • 'Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room' - Peter Sellers as The President in Dr Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

  • 'That's not supposed to happen' - A technician in the control room of Westworld.

  • 'I think you're trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson... You are trying to seduce me aren't you Mrs Robinson?' - Dustin Hoffman as Benjamin to Anne Bancroft's Mrs Robinson in The Graduate.

  • 'ET Phone home' - A very odd looking plastic model in Stephen Spielburg's film.

  • 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn' - Rhett Butler to Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind.

  • 'I'll be back' - Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator.

  • 'Hasta la vista, baby' - Arnie again.

  • 'Yippee Ki Yay' - Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

  • 'Here's Johnny...' - Jack Nicholson taking off the Johnny Carson Show in The Shining.

  • 'It's Showtime...' - Michael Keeton as Beetlejuice in the film of the same name.

  • 'I'm not gonna be ignored' - Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

  • 'You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas is not the place you want to get caught' - Susan Sarandon as Thelma in Thelma and Louise.

  • 'Here's to the first of the day fellahs, to old DH Lawrence.' Jack Nicholson as George in Easy Rider who then flaps his elbows against his sides à la chicken, and continues with those unforgettable words... 'Nick nick nick nick, fuh, fuh fuh... Indians'.

  • 'Me Tarzan, you Jane' - Johnny Weismuller's Tarzan to Jane.

  • 'We've come on holiday by mistake' - From Withnail & I.

  • 'That's just the lemon next to the pie... It's going to get bigger' - Bear, in Big Wednesday as he looks out on a huge surf groundswell storming onto the beach in the moonlight.

  • 'You ought to see them from my side' - Lee Marvin as the gunfighter Kid Sheleen in Cat Balou on being told his eyes looked bloodshot the morning after the night before.

  • 'There can be only one' - Christopher Lambert as MacLeod in Highlander.

  • 'Gooooooooooooood Morning Viet-nam!' - Robin Williams as Adrian Cronauer in the film of the same name.

  • 'I coulda been a contender' - Marlon Brando as Terry in On the Waterfront.

  • 'Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me' - Kenneth Williams as Caesar in Carry on Cleo.

  • 'Wait a minute, wait a minute... You ain't heard nothing yet' - Al Jolson in The Jazz Singer (also the first spoken words in the movies).

  • 'So why don't you make like a tree and leave' - Biff Tannen in Back to the Future.

  • 'It must be so hard for you Victoria. I mean, having to decide whether to wear the little black Gucci dress, the little black Gucci dress or... the little black Gucci dress' - Sporty Spice to Posh Spice in Spice World.

  • 'That'll be the day' - John Wayne as Ethan Edwards in The Searchers. Which is also thought to be the inspiration for Buddy Hollies disc of the same name.

  • 'Tha' Hell you will' - The Duke again.

  • 'We're not worthy, we're not worthy' - Wayne and Garth in Wayne's World.

  • 'Ex-cell-ent!' - Wayne again.

  • 'Greed is good; greed is right; greed works' - Gordon Gekko in Wall Street.

  • 'He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy' - Brian's mother in The Life of Brian.

  • 'Always look on the bright side of life' - Eric Idle and the song from the soundtrack of The Life of Brian.

  • 'OK... what did the Romans ever do for us?' - John Cleese for the Judean Liberation Front, also in The Life of Brian.

  • 'That's not a knife... That's a knife!' - Paul Hogan as Crocodile Dundee in the film of the same name.

  • 'Let's run this up the flagpole and see who salutes it' - Juror 12 in Twelve Angry Men.

  • 'You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?' - Robert De Niro as Travis, in Taxi Driver.

  • 'Show me the money... Show me the money!' - Tom Cruise as Jerry Maguire, in the film of the same name.

  • 'You're one groovy baby... baby' - Austin Powers. International Man of Mystery.

  • 'That's quite a dress you almost have on' - Gene Kelly in An American in Paris.

  • 'Hey, Johnny, what you rebelling against?'
    'Whaddya got?' - Peggy Maley and Marlon Brando in The Wild One.

  • 'The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true' - Danny Kaye in The Court Jester.

  • 'We rob banks' - Warren Beatty as Clyde Barrow in Bonnie and Clyde.

  • 'No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die' - Gert Frobe as Auric Goldfinger to James Bond who is having a 'moment' with a laser in Goldfinger.

  • 'I ate his liver with some fava beans and a good Chianti... sst, sst, sst, sst' - Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal 'The Cannibal' Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs.

  • 'You're tearing me apart...' - James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A207442

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more