Fletcher's Dam, outside Beechworth, Victoria, Australia Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Fletcher's Dam, outside Beechworth, Victoria, Australia

1 Conversation

Fletcher's Dam.

In the hot Aussie climate, waterholes and places to swim are highly sought after. Swimming pools, the sea, lakes and rivers are usually the favoured places - for the most part they're easy to get to. Then there are the little hard-to-get-to places that are not quite as busy, and appeal to those looking for something a bit further away from the hustle and bustle where it's quiet enough to relax and read a book, or simply nod off and forget the world for a while. Fletcher's Dam, a stone's throw from the tourist town of Beechworth in the north east of Victoria, is just such a place.

What's the Appeal?

Peace. And quiet. The heady scent of eucalyptus. The sound of leaves rustling in the cool breeze. Cicadas buzzing. Kookaburras calling. The bounding of wallabies - well, okay maybe not that quiet. Fletcher's Dam is a smallish man-made water facility1, that many people assume supplies the nearby town of Yackandandah with drinking water. This is why the lads from the Beechworth 'Bushrangers'2football team make a point of travelling up to Fletcher's every now and then to urinate in the water while they're swimming in order to spite their foes, the Yackandandah 'Roos'. It is of course just a local myth that the water from the dam goes into the kitchens of people in 'Yack' - it is in fact merely the catchment for the runoff from the nearby Lake Kerferd, Beechworth's main water supply. Unfortunately, it's not a myth that the footy players pee in the water. But everyone else swimming there does too, particularly the younger ones, so it's not that big a deal. Digression aside, Fletcher's has much more to offer than just a peaceful setting in the Aussie bush.

Swimming

The main appeal of the dam is the fact that it's a 100-metre square of very cold water, so in the summer months the best thing to do is swim in it! On the bank overlooking the dam is a picnic bench, which, while a little wobbly and with some entertaining graffiti carved into it, is a nice spot to sit with a 'cut lunch'3 and a cold beer. Just to the left of the picnic bench is a large gum tree, which as fortune would have it has a branch that stretches out across the water.

Some enterprising young lads took it upon themselves to climb the tree and attach a sturdy rope to this branch, and at the end of the rope tied a bit of 2x4 wood. And thus, a 'Tarzan' swing was built! This swing lets anyone of any age and reasonable size swing out over the water, and then let go of the rope and fall off, splashing refreshingly into the water. If you don't do this you risk coming back and smashing into the tree. Painful, to say the least, but also incredibly embarrassing.

Camping

There's a small campsite not far away from the dam. A barbecue and toilet are available - but it's best to take your own washing and cooking utensils in case the facilities are in a bit of a state4. If you want to make a traditional campfire to boil your billy tea, remember that fires are not permitted on days of 'Total Fire Ban'. If you do make a fire use only dead fallen wood (as dead standing trees provide homes for wildlife), and ensure that all fires are completely extinguished before leaving. The last thing you want to do is start a bushfire like the one that swept through the area in 2003.

The only downside of camping out by Fletcher's is that sometimes the local youths like to ride around the area on their off-road motorbikes. Not only do they spoil the quiet, but they have also been known to partake in the odd bit of senseless vandalism; so the toilet of the BBQ may not be in proper working order. However, this shouldn't put you off as it's great to set up a tent and then either try your luck at spotting a wallaby or possum on a night-time bush walk, or get up at the crack of dawn to try some fishing.

Fishing

All year round, many people enjoy the calm at Fletcher's to do some fishing5. For the lucky angler there's brown trout and redfin to be caught from the deeper waters, and either drop-line or spinning are usually successful methods of catching something. A walking track snakes around the dam and there are a few good spots along the banks to cast a line in from, and it's even possible to float a canoe or dinghy to do some casual 'boat-fishing'. Be wary though, it's very easy to drift off to sleep in the boat and be rudely awoken when you tip out into the freezing cold water!

Depending on what time of year it is, the fish will bite to either maggots, worms or cat food. The very early morning or twilight are the best times to try for the trout - they are better eating than redfin. If you don't fancy fish, you can also tie some mincemeat on a line and attempt to hook yourself some decent size yabbies6. These are great on the 'barbie' with a bit of lemon juice and garlic. And even if you don't like fishing, it's nice to spot one jumping out of the water every now and then, and watch the ripples radiate as the sound of the splash echoes through the quiet of the surroundings.

What to Be Careful of

As with any inland expanse of water in Australia, there's the dangerous wildlife to be wary of, such as snakes or worse. The water is also extraordinarily cold at the dam because it's shaded by the surrounding trees all day long, so be wary of muscle cramp when swimming. And naturally, being out in the sun during the day in Australia, it is paramount to avoid the risks of sunburn.

Getting There

From Beechworth there are a number of ways to the dam, which is about a seven-kilometre (four-mile) journey. You can drive there, ride there (by motorcycle, bicycle or horse) or even walk. There's a Walking Trail that leads from the outskirts of Beechworth to Lake Kerferd, and then signposts will show the way to Fletcher's Dam Road. The dam is down that road, funnily enough.

If you choose to use a vehicle or other land-based mode of transport other than your legs, follow the signs to the town of Stanley from Beechworth (Camp Street via Albert Road), then again follow the signposts to Lake Kerferd. The route is part of the Beechworth Forest Drive, so the signs are well maintained by the Parks Service. There is a covered road all the way to the lake, and once there you again turn onto Fletcher's Dam Road.

This dirt road is a bit stony and corrugated, so you'd be wise not to drive anything you don't want getting dirty, muddy or broken down there. Once at the dam there is a small area where you can park. Be wary though, there's a slight dip on exiting and if your vehicle doesn't like steep inclines you might need to get out and push.

1Once an open-cut gold mine.2Used to be called the 'Bombers' up until 2004.3Sandwiches.4Where there are no toilet facilities, bury your faecal waste 15 centimetres (0.5 feet) deep, and at least 100 metres (320 feet) from any watercourse.5Remember, in Victoria you will need to obtain a licence to fish. They're not too expensive and can be bought from most bait shops or Ranger's offices.6Small freshwater crayfish.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A20752544

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Credits

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more