Jamestown Ferry Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Jamestown Ferry

1 Conversation

Surry, in Virginia, USA, is a tiny rural town with very little going on in it aside from one blinking caution light by the courthouse1. There's not even a McDonalds in the whole county.

The nicest thing about Surry though is the Jamestown Ferry - two boats move back and forth across the James river from Scotland Wharf on the south shore to Jamestown Landing on the north. This is the only way to get to Williamsburg without driving 60 miles out of your way, but it takes almost as long.

The ferry is a strange thing, not being as permanent as a bridge you can actually miss it. The pair even kind of back up all day, depending on your perspective. They have schedules and they even have names2, but they are unpredictable throwbacks to a very different way of life.

The ferrymen are not interested in fast trips. They take pains to avoid rough spots and once you are safely on board, the trip is entirely relaxing. You can get out of your car and look at the world, let the wind whip you in the face and you can get rained on.

1Across from the auto parts store and the Feed and Seed, next to the Surry House of Fashions.2The Pocahontas, by gum.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A209918

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more