Sport on Record 1

0 Conversations

SPORTING WITH EGON

Welcome to my new column 'Sporting With Egon- On The Record', a column which will be dedicated to the section of popular culture where sport and music meet. Be it sportsmen singing songs, official anthems of sporting events, or a combination of the two, I should be featuring it here at some point

But before I get to bad John Barnes raps and Paul Gascoigne singles1, I'll be starting with a rare sporting musical event- a song by a sportsman which is actually good. Here we go:

You're Never Gone by Mark Butcher

Mark Butcher is a Surrey and England cricketer - an opening batsmen for Surrey who tends to bat number three for England. At this he is quite accomplished - He holds down a regular place in the England squad, and is one of the more reliable performers for both county and country

Butch is, however, more than a cricketer. He's also a fairly decent musician - often performing with bands including Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings. Butch is a vocalist and guitarist, although to date he has released just one single, and 'tis a rather special one.

The song is not some dreadful novelty hit, although there will be plenty of them in future columns. It is a heartfelt tribute to one of Butcher's closest friends - his team-mate Ben Hollioake, who died aged 24 in a car crash in March 2002.

The song is a gentle ballad in memory of Hollioake, which shows the hurt felt by those close to him. It is Butcher's way of saying goodbye - he actually performed it at Ben's memorial service before its single release.

The rousing chorus is something special, a reminder that Ben Hollioake will be remembered by his friends, family and the general cricket loving public - the lyrics of

You're Never Gone

You're Always There

Your perfect smile

You're everywhere

Although you're gone

An age to soon

reflects how people remember Hollioake - the dashing teenage all-rounder whipping the Aussies in '97. The unfulfilled potential.

A gospel riff thrown in towards the end adds to the feel-good nature of a song tinged with sadness. A mixture of celebration and commemoration, Butcher's tribute to his fallen team-mate is wondrous.

THe single was released in the summer of 2003 - over a year after it was written in the immediate aftermath of Hollioake's death. Every copy sold benefits the 'Ben Hollioake Fund' - a fund set up by Ben's brother, former England captain Adam to help children with terminal illnesses. It was released only through county cricket shops and an internet site due to a lack of a major label for the release, but anyone who's interest in Butcher's fledgling music career can check out the section about the song at the Ben Hollioake Fund website.

Next time this column surfaces, I will be examining a much more light-hearted sporting musical career. That of flawed Football genius Paul 'Gazza' Gascoigne in the early 1990s. Watch out for it in the new year.


Christmas banner by Wotchit
Egon

18.12.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Coming up in the next few weeks, I promise.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2135747

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more