Gerard Hoffnung - Cartoonist, Humorist and Musician Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Gerard Hoffnung - Cartoonist, Humorist and Musician

7 Conversations

Naturualised British cartoonist, humorist and musician, Gerard Hoffnung was born in Germany in 1925, and although he died just 34 years later he managed to appear to be a crusty old man for most of his life.

His most famous recorded item is probably his 'barrel' monologue, one of his many spoof letters, this one purporting to be from a builder excusing himself from work. Space and copyright forbid complete reproduction herein, but a taster will give you a pretty good idea:

'At this point I must have lost my presence of mind. I let go of the rope and the barrel, [freed of his weight] descended...'

It's a shame that this work is one of his most famous recordings because his first love was music. His Festival of Music (followed by the Interplanetary and Astronautical music festivals) include fine performances on the vacuum cleaner and Vespa, and the exceptional 'Concerto for Double Bass Tuba and Piccolo'.

His cartoons have a distinctive style, often with a musical theme, and are still beloved of musicians everywhere. Few people achieve as much as Hoffnung did even though he had such a tragically short life.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A223921

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more