Letter Writing Tips

0 Conversations



 

h2g2 Friends of Tibet

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Please make sure that all of your correspondence is polite and business like. Feeling strongly about something is no excuse to be rude. A carefully considered and courteous letter is more likely to be taken seriously than a rant.

Amnesty International has a well-earned reputation for using letter writing campaigns very effectively. Many victims of human rights abuses have testified that they probably owe their lives to letters written on their behalf.

The following list is based on some of
Amnesty International's tips for effective letter writing:

  • Always be polite. Always remember that your objective is to actually help someone (someone who may already be in serious trouble), not to blow off steam.
  • Show the person you are writing to all due respect.
  • Be reasonable. Let the facts speak for themselves, but don't pretend to be a lawyer1.
  • Don't use jargon, which may create the impression that you are writing to express a political point of view. Remember that your concern is for basic human rights, which apply to everyone, regardless of political or religious context.
  • Express yourself. Letters that are obviously written by concerned individuals are much more effective than those which read like form letters.
  • Be brief. Assume that whoever you are writing to has other demands on his or her time; so get to the point.
1If you are one, you needn't pretend not to be.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2252198

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more