Kearney, Missouri, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Kearney, Missouri, USA

4 Conversations

Kearney is a small town between the cities of Liberty and North Kansas City. Kearney is known for basically three things:

  • The Kearney High School Marching Band
  • The bandit Jesse James
  • The water tower that most people drive by at 80 mph (130 kph).

Kearney High School Marching Band

The 1999 - 2000 Band, alternatively known as The Marching Bulldogs, under the direction of Ken Greiner, is one of the largest high school marching bands in western Missouri with 180 members. The community is very proud of this band because it is constantly getting itself on national television. It regularly marches at college homecomings and in the American Royal Parade.

Jesse James

Kearney is the birth and burial location of the infamous bandit Jesse James. Every autumn there is a festival celebrating his life. The local churches, fire and police departments, marching bands, Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, 4-H Club, and politicians put a float in this parade to show support for the felon. After the parade, the fairgrounds open. At the fair there are helicopter rides provided by the United States Army, ostrich hamburgers and hotdogs, beer, a dance, competition mud wrestling, carnival rides, a rodeo, warm beer, and a myriad of contests ranging from pie eating to three-legged races. This is the highlight of the year for the community of Kearney.

The Water Tower

The water tower is big, it stands beside the interstate, and has the word 'Kearney' painted on it. Nothing special really. It's a good landmark, though. If you pass it coming in from Liberty, the next exit is Kearney. If you pass it coming in from Holt, then you just missed Kearney.

Eating and Drinking in Kearney

There are many good places to eat in the community of Kearney. Hunan Garden serves exceptional Chinese food. Clem's Country Café serves 'home style meals'. Kookie's Pizza has an excellent selection of pizza and pasta. Also in town there is a Pizza Hut, Hardee's, Taco Bell, and a Legend's Sports Bar.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A228728

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more