Han Solo - A Star Wars character Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Han Solo - A Star Wars character

3 Conversations

This article is designed to give an insight into the life of Han Solo that was not shown in the films.

Background

Han Solo is a character in the Star Wars universe created by George Lucas: he was played by Harrison Ford and appeared in Episodes Four, Five and Six.

In the first draft, Han was a traditional green-skinned alien and only evolved into human in later drafts.

Among the actors who read for the part are Kurt Russell and Christopher Walken - Harrison Ford was cast.

In the movies not much is told about Han's past so this article hopefully resolves that, telling what history of the fictional character could be obtained through research into the novels, mainly AC Crispin's trilogy and The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton.

George Lucas originally created the character but his history has come from many different authors; however, the books on which this history is based have been read by the great Lucas himself and given the green light.

There are many unofficial versions of Han's backstory, but this does not include any information which has not been given the go-ahead by Lucas.

Childhood

Originally from the planet of Corellia, Han Solo never knew his parents; he was raised on the Trader's Luck, the ship of Garris Shrike1.

Garris used Han as he did the other street urchins and beggars he found - as petty thieves and beggars. Han only stayed with him as he believed Garris knew something of his family and what had happened to them, Garris never told Han anything about his family and the only tie he ever found was a cruel cousin named Thracken Sal-Solo. Although his childhood wasn't ideal, Han was still taught kindness by a female Wookiee called Dewlanna. Dewlanna also taught him the Wookiee language which would prove invaluable to him in the future.

At the age of 19, Han ran away from Garris Shrike and his thievery operation and, using the assumed name Vyyk Drago, joined the Hutt spice-processing business on Ylesia where he fell in love with a slave called Bria Tharen; he rescued her and helped destroy almost the entire Ylesia operation but things unfortunately did not go well between them and once again Han was on his own.

Imperials, Smugglers and Wookiees

Eventually, his superior flying skills earned him a place in the Imperial Academy where he showed great promise. While there he earned his Corillean bloodstripes (which you can always see on his trousers) and the nickname 'Slick' for a daring manoeuvre with a U-33 transport vehicle.

While working for the Imperials, Han was ordered to terminate a Wookiee slave by the name of Chewbacca. He refused and was thrown out of the Academy in disgrace – however, he had earned himself a life-debt and a new best friend from Chewbacca2.

With nowhere to go Han and Chewbacca (now called Chewie) joined a smuggling gang run by Roa; this is where Han first flew the Kessel Run for which he was later to become famous. During his time as a smuggler he met his very close friend Lando Calrissian among many others. In a lucky game of Sabacc with Lando he won the right to any ship on Lando's lot and he chose the Millennium Falcon3.

After falling out with his fellow smugglers and dropping an important shipment of spice from Jabba the Hutt, Han ran to Tatooine, once again without friends and now with a large bounty on his head.

The Films and the Courting of Leia

While on Tatooine Han took the charter to Alderaan, which was to lead him inevitably to the Rebellion and his new friends.

After the battle of Endor, Han became officially 'respectable' although he remained an important contact with the smugglers. After having confessed his love to Leia he planned to marry her but was called away on duty to help defeat an Imperial crimelord. His plans to wed Leia went astray, however, when Prince Isolder of Hapes proposed4; springing into action Han kidnapped Leia and took her to the remote world of Dathomir, which he had won in a game of Sabacc. While there he helped liberate the 'witches' 5 from the Nightsisters6 and once again won the heart of Leia.

Children and the Death of Chewbacca

They finally wed and were to have three children all strong in the Force: Jaina and Jacen, twins; and young Anakin. Probably because he had never known his own family, Han's children were very important to him and he loved the role of father and protector. Han's life couldn't stay happy for too long, however: when the threat of the Yuuzhan Vong7 struck he lost his best friend. Chewbacca died saving Anakin from a doomed planet8

Han was never quite the same again, although he realised he had some small Force potential when he started to see Chewie's ghost, as Luke had seen Ben's and Yoda's back in the days of the Rebellion.

Summary

Han Solo has always been one of the pivotal characters of the Star Wars universe; a reckless and unscrupulous smuggler with a heart of gold.

1Star Wars: The Han Solo trilogy Vol. 1; The Paradise Snare, by AC Crispin.2Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy Vol. 2; The Hutt Gambit.3Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy Vol. 3; Rebel Dawn.4Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia, by Dave Wolverton.5Force-sensitive women of Dathomir.6The Dathomirian equivalent of Sith.7The Yuuzhan Vong are invaders from another Galaxy.8Star Wars: The New Jedi Order Book 1; Vector Prime, by R. A. Salvatore.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A2309456

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more